- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Chicken and Pasta
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On February 17, 2010 @ 7:04 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Pasta,Recipes | 14 Comments
Over the Christmas holidays, we visited the Second Street Market here in Dayton. I saw these little gems in a bin…and they were calling my name.
I like brussel sprouts. I’ve liked them all my life. But I’ve never cooked with them. I’d only eaten them from a bag out of the freezer. Cooked, of course.
But never had I made them from “fresh” sprouts.
Since I wasn’t exactly sure what I was to do with these little green gems, so I searched around. Every where I looked, said to cook them with pancetta or bacon. But I didn’t have any bacon on hand, and well, pancetta is just too pricey for me! So I ended up deciding to work up a pasta. Seemed safe.
After all, I didn’t want to screw this up and waste these green little gems.
3/4 lb. Brussels sprouts ($1.49) Bought at $1.99/lb
1 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
1 tsp lemon juice ($.03)
Salt and pepper
2 chicken breasts (about 1 lb.) ($1.89)
2 cups shell pasta ($.50)
1/4 cup lemon juice ($.25)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse brussels sprouts and remove any yellow leaves.
2. Chop off the ends and discard.
3. Cut lengthwise into quarters.
4. Add to a small skillet with some olive oil and lemon juice.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss.
6. Roast the sprouts in the pan for 4-6 minutes, or until turn golden brown. Set aside.
7. In the same skillet, cook the diced chicken pieces. Toss for 6-8 minutes, or until all chicken pieces have cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on thickness of the pieces.
8. Meanwhile, cook 2 cups of pasta as directed on package instructions.
9. Once pasta and chicken have cooked, add all to a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
10. Serve by itself, or with a side salad.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/pan-roasted-brussel-sprouts-with-chicken-and-pasta/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.