I love asparagus. And I especially love it when it’s on sale for $.99/lb. Because then I’ll actually buy it!
The boys love it too. My trick: Cut off the top “flowery” part and then cut into inch or so strips and it looks like green beans. With a slightly different taste, of course.
I think with kids…half the “food battle” is that if something “looks funny,” then they are completely turned off without taking a bite…they’ve made the decision that they don’t like it before they even try it…so if you make it look like something else they like, then they won’t be turned off right away. Anyone else noticed that?
Oven Roasted Asparagus
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1 lb. asparagus ($.99)
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, drizzled ($.10)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($.02)
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese (optional) We leave this out to stay dairy-free, but I imagine it gives a fabulous flavor to the asparagus!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash, pat dry and snap the ends off the asparagus. Place the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus spears. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Parmesan too, if you like.
- Roast in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Remove and serve immediately.