Did you know that this Saturday is the 9th annual Great American Backyard Campout on June 22, 2013?!? It’s the perfect opportunity to head outside for some great food and family fun this summer. We love love love being outside, and eating outside…and the boys just might get the tent out (if they can stand to sleep in the heat, we’ll let them!). If not, they might set the tent up in the playroom and sleep indoors!
If you’re looking for some new things to try (Try 13 Challenge!!) on the campfire, or grill, this weekend, check out these ideas:
- Pigs in a Sleeping Blanket: For an easy twist on the classic campfire hotdog take an 11 ounce can of breadstick dough, slice each dough strip in half and wrap each strip around a hotdog leaving a small area uncovered for the face. Roast over the fire until the hotdog and bread are cooked, let cool, then use ketchup and mustard to make fun faces.
- Silver Turtles: This hearty option is a simple way to fill your campers’ stomachs. Simply place a hamburger patty in a piece of aluminum foil and top it with potatoes, carrots, onions, salt, pepper and a pad of butter. Fold the foil tightly around the turtle and cook over the coals for 20 minutes or until cooked thoroughly, then let cool and enjoy. For a side dish, try wrapping corn on the cob or whole potatoes in foil for delicious grilled corn or baked potatoes. Remember to let them cool then add your favorite toppings.
- Gourmet Lasagna: If you’re up for some Italian, try this easy Dutch oven recipe for lasagna. Start by pouring a thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the Dutch oven and add a little water. Then cover with lasagna noodles and a layer of ricotta or cottage cheese and chopped spinach and add another layer of sauce to top it off and repeat the layering until you reach the top of your pot. Top your lasagna off with sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese, cover and let bake for 30 minutes. If you are looking for a more meaty dish try adding pepperoni or ground beef between the layers.
And room for dessert…
- Dipped Strawberries: Dip strawberries in Marshmallow Fluff and roast over the fire.
- Orange-Chocolate Cake: Hollow out oranges, fill (about half way) with chocolate cake mix, wrap in foil and heat in the hot coals for about 20 minutes.
- Singing Apples: Place an apple on a cooking stick and roast over hot coals until the peel starts to split and “sing.” Carefully remove the peel and roll apple in cinnamon-sugar.
Fun and adventure are only as far as your backyard, so let’s get outside!
Visit www.backyardcampout.org for more information.