- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Mushroom Swiss Steak – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On February 1, 2010 @ 6:19 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Beef,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Potatoes,Recipes | 7 Comments
I found in the freezer…6 eye of round steaks…that I bought back in early September . The beautiful part is that I bought 6 eye of round steaks for just over $2! They came in 2 packages, each with 3 steaks and each just over $2. I used a $2 coupon for Private Selection beef from a Kroger mailer.
Can’t beat 6 eye of round steaks for just over $2!!!
I stopped by one of my favorite recipe sites, Elise’s Simply Recipes . I knew she would have a recipe for eye of round steaks, and she did! A Swiss Steak Recipe …that I modified based on what I had in the pantry, a can of mushrooms!
HELLO. Mushroom Swiss Steak. It’s nice to meet you!
You might be my new favorite meal!!!
Mushroom Swiss Steak
Adapted from: Simply Recipes 
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 1 onion, sliced ($.30)
- 4 garlic cloves ($.15)
- 6 eye of round steaks ($2.31)
- 1 4 oz. can of sliced mushrooms, drained ($.49) From Walgreens, on sale and with coupon
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste ($.19) After coupon
- 1 tsp tarragon ($.20)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 butternut squash ($1.13) Cooked and frozen when on sale for $.49/lb
- Butter and brown sugar ($.20)
- Mashed Potatoes ($.50) Leftover and frozen from the holidays
- Slice onions. Peel and crush garlic.
- Brown steaks in large skillet in a little bit of canola oil.
- Turn and brown the other side of the steaks.
- Add crushed garlic and sliced onions.
- Saute with the steaks for 4-5 minutes, or until onions become transparent.
- Add drained mushrooms and mix in.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato paste with 2 cans worth of water.
- Pour tomato sauce over the steaks, onions and mushrooms. Combine well. Stir in tarragon, salt and pepper.
- Once it starts to splatter, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until steak has cooked through.
- Cook butternut squash  and mashed potatoes. (Or thaw and reheat.)
- Serve Mushroom Swiss Steak with Butternut Squash and Mashed Potatoes.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/mushroom-swiss-steak/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 bought back in early September: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/09/kroger-shopping-trip-5.html
 Simply Recipes: http://www.simplyrecipes.com
 Swiss Steak Recipe: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001951swiss_steak.php
 Cook butternut squash: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/09/how-to-bake-butternut-squash.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.