I found in the freezer…6 eye of round steaks…that I bought back in early September. The beautiful part is that I bought 6 eye of round steaks for just over $2! They came in 2 packages, each with 3 steaks and each just over $2. I used a $2 coupon for Private Selection beef from a Kroger mailer.
Can’t beat 6 eye of round steaks for just over $2!!!
I stopped by one of my favorite recipe sites, Elise’s Simply Recipes. I knew she would have a recipe for eye of round steaks, and she did! A Swiss Steak Recipe…that I modified based on what I had in the pantry, a can of mushrooms!
HELLO. Mushroom Swiss Steak. It’s nice to meet you!
You might be my new favorite meal!!!
1 onion, sliced ($.30)
4 garlic cloves ($.15)
6 eye of round steaks ($2.31)
1 4 oz. can of sliced mushrooms, drained ($.49) From Walgreens, on sale and with coupon
1 6 oz. can of tomato paste ($.19) After coupon
1 tsp tarragon ($.20)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 butternut squash ($1.13) Cooked and frozen when on sale for $.49/lb
Butter and brown sugar ($.20)
Mashed Potatoes ($.50) Leftover and frozen from the holidays
1. Slice onions. Peel and crush garlic.
2. Brown steaks in large skillet in a little bit of canola oil.
3. Turn and brown the other side of the steaks.
4. Add crushed garlic and sliced onions.
5. Saute with the steaks for 4-5 minutes, or until onions become transparent.
6. Add drained mushrooms and mix in.
7. In a small bowl, combine tomato paste with 2 cans worth of water.
8. Pour tomato sauce over the steaks, onions and mushrooms. Combine well. Stir in tarragon, salt and pepper.
9. Once it starts to splatter, reduce heat to medium-low.
10. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until steak has cooked through.
11. Cook butternut squash and mashed potatoes. (Or thaw and reheat.)
12. Serve Mushroom Swiss Steak with Butternut Squash and Mashed Potatoes.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!