- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Mushroom Barley Soup
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 5, 2010 @ 6:57 pm In Dairy Free,Recipes,Soup,vegetarian | 41 Comments
When I saw mushrooms marked down at the store…I took advantage…and I made this soup! That night.
I found (and slightly modified) the recipe in the Smuckers Family Favorite Recipes booklet.
2 Tbsp butter or margarine (I used dairy free)($.20)
1 small onion, chopped ($.20)
2 carrot stalks, peeled and diced ($.20)
2 garlic cloves, crushed ($.10)
About 8 oz. of mushrooms, chopped and sliced ($.99)
2 cups water
4 cups homemade chicken broth (free)(Substitute with vegetable broth for a vegetarian version!)
1 cup pearled barley ($.50)
2 tsp dried dill ($.25)
2 tsp fresh parsley ($.25)(wishing I’d made this earlier in the year with parsley from the garden!)
Salt and pepper to taste
Sister Schubert’s Dinner Rolls ($1) Used coupon when on sale!
Butter and Jam ($.25)
**Throw in some leftover chicken or turkey into this soup!
1. Add butter or margarine to large saucepan and let it melt. Saute the chopped onions, diced carrots and garlic. Once onions become opaque, add in the sliced and/or chopped mushrooms. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add water and broth and bring to a boil. Add the pearled barley, dill, parsley, salt and pepper. (Add cooked chicken or turkey here if you wish!). Reduce heat so the soup cooks at a rolling boil. Cook for 45 minutes, or until barley has cooked through. (Note: I used pearled barley, not quick cooking barley. Follow time directions on package if using quick cook barley!)
3. Warm rolls as directed on package and serve with butter and jam.
4. Serve Mushroom Barley Soup with Rolls and Jam.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/mushroom-barley-soup/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.