We don’t do cable. I haven’t had cable since I lived at home before leaving for college. And to tell you the truth, I don’t mind not having it. We catch things on Hulu, many of the sports my husband likes to watch he can find online or on the iPad. And we do have Netflix for the kids to watch cartoons. All in all, this set up is way cheaper than cable would be. We’ve always used “rabbit ears” for picking up the major networks…but now there’s a new alternative called “The Leaf.” And according to recent test drives, it is the best performing indoor antenna on the market.
The Leaf is a simple device that you plug into the back of your TV and it picks up any TV stations that are broadcasting a signal within 30-35 miles. The Leaf picks up the signal and displays it on your TV – in HD! The Leaf costs $50 (or $40 on Amazon), so if your basic cable bill is $20 a month, you’ll make your money back in three months! In addition to pulling in major networks, it has “omnidirectional” reception (meaning that it should ideally pull in stations from all directions, so if you live smack dab in the middle of 2 cities, you could pull from both cities.)
The Leaf is paper-thin and can be easily hidden behind a picture frame, cabinet or bookshelf without affecting reception, or behind your TV. It powers itself from the TV power, so no additional power cord to wrap up. The set up is super simple and it has adhesive to attach to whatever it is you want to attach it to, using either the white side or the black side. It’s very much a “plug n play” kind of tool that will allow you to pick up stations in minutes!
This week, we’re giving away a twin-pack of Mohu’s Leaf to 2 different winners!
1. Contest ends Monday, November 19th at 3 pm EST.
- Entry #1: Leave a comment sharing your best secrets or ways to save on TV and cable options.
- Entry #2: Repin something from the $5 Dinners Pinterest boards.
- Entry #3: Tweet the following: Don’t pay for basic cable when you can win a Leaf from @gomohu at @5dollardinners! http://bit.ly/mohugive #wingiveaways
- Entry #4: Hang out with us on Facebook.
- Entry #5: Join our free email newsletter, or get RSS updates in your feed reader.
2. Please leave separate comments for each entry. Winner will be selected by Random.org. Winners will be announced back here on this post, and notified via email with further instructions.
These lovely blogs are joining me this week…also offering this giveaway! Feel free to hop on over to their sites and enter their giveaway by clicking on the links below.
- Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
- Bargain Babe
- Bargain Briana
- Saving Cents with Sense
- Bargain Babe
- Savings Lifestyle
- Stretching a Buck
*Disclosure: I received similar products for review and no other compensation. As always, opinions are my own.