My family of 10 LOVES this meal! Since it serves 12 or so, it is perfect for large families or for serving to company.
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law more than 25 years ago and have been serving it ever since. I have seen similar dishes called “Mexican Stack” or “Taco Salad” but she called it “Mexican Mess” and so do we.
One of the great things about this dish is its simplicity! I can whip it together in under half an hour, and if I’m planning to be away from home during my usual late afternoon dinner prep time, I can put this together in the Crock-Pot (I believe you Yankees call this a “slow cooker”) and let it simmer on low for a couple of hours until we are ready to dive in.
Yield – 12 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 15 oz. cans pinto beans
- 2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 sm. cans chopped green chiles
- Shredded cheddar
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced onions, jalepenos, diced tomatoes, guacamole, and any other toppings you like
- Brown ground beef and onion. Drain.
- Add beans, tomato sauce, and chiles.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sometimes I throw in some taco seasoning if I’m feeling racy.
- Simmer 15 minutes or longer.
- Serve on top of Doritos.
- Top with cheese and desired toppings.