- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Mexican Breakfast Scramble with Peppers and Black Beans – Grow. Eat. $ave.
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 5, 2011 @ 5:15 pm In Breakfast,Eggs,Garden,Grow. Eat. Save.,Recipes | 4 Comments
So I had every intention of making omelets with all the fixings you see here last night. Then I remembered that we had a makeup soccer game. So I scratched the omelet idea (because they take longer to make!) and went with a scramble instead. All the same ingredients…just as delicious outcome!
Perfect way to use some peppers from the garden or farmer’s market. I only used green pepper…but you could use red, yellow, orange, hot, mild…whatever floats your pepper boat.
Or whatever you have on hand or in the garden!
(Couple notes about this breakfast scrambles…I use 2 eggs per person when making scrambled eggs. My boys LOVE eggs…and this seems to be our “magic egg number.” Also, I cooked up a bag of dried black beans because I didn’t have any cans. And because it’s cheaper that way!)
Mexican Breakfast Scramble with Peppers and Black Beans
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 to 10 minutes
- 10 eggs ($1)
- 1/4 cup milk ($.05)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.03)
- 1/2 onion, chopped ($.20)
- 1 green pepper, chopped ($.59)
- 1 tsp minced garlic ($.05)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin ($.03)
- 2 cups black beans ($.50)
- 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar or pepper jack for some kick (omitted for the kids) ($.75)
- Fresh fruit ($.75)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk…with the salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, peppers, garlic with a pinch of ground cumin.
- Once the onions are opaque, stir in the eggs and scramble them with the veggies.
- Top with the black beans and shredded cheese.
- Prepare fruit. If I’d had an avocado on hand, I would have served that with this instead of fruit
- Serve Mexican Breakfast Scramble with Peppers and Black Beans, and fresh fruit…or avocado!
If you’d like to learn more about Square Foot Gardening, please check out the Square Foot Gardening books  by Mel Bartholemew.
Do you have a recipe using green peppers that you’d like to share?!? We’d love to check it out!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/mexican-breakfast-scramble/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Square Foot Gardening books: http://www.5dollardinners.com../squarefootgardeningbook
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.