So it occurred to me at about 5 pm on Sunday (when the Super Bowl had not started yet…somehow in my head the game was supposed to be in the afternoon), that we needed to eat dinner. And while all the appetizers that I had out would have probably sufficed, I still wanted to have something “dinner-ish” to serve to the guys! (We’d hoped to have friends over…but that didn’t work out because we had sick kiddos!)
I made a Spicy Bean and Cheese Dip.
(Blend 3 cans pinto beans well drained, 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 tsp ground cumin and 3 garlic cloves. Stream in a little olive oil if you need to.)
And there was plenty leftover…so Bean Tostadas it was for “dinner”!
To make tostadas, simply add some oil to a small skillet (I used my omelet skillet), and place a corn tortilla in the hot oil.
(Don’t add the tortilla until the oil is hot. This will help it brown faster, and more evenly.)
When it puffs up and starts to brown on the edges…
Flip it and fry the other side.
Set aside on a plate and repeat.
(Note: As you make the 3rd and 4th tostada, turn the heat down a smidge.)
The beautiful and amazing thing about tostadas…you can put anything on top! Taco meat, shredded chicken, beans, shrimp…lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, corn, peppers, salsa roja, salsa verde, fresh cilantro, sour cream, cheese!
Mexican Bean Tostadas
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1-2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- About 1 cup spicy beans
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 15 0z can petite diced tomatoes (or 1 large tomato, seeded and diced)
- About 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar or Mexican blend
- Place about 1 Tbsp oil into a skillet and turn up the heat. Once the oil is hot, add 1 corn tortilla at a time. Flip when it bubbles and the edges turn brown. Set aside to cool. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Blend up the spicy beans. (3 cans pinto beans well drained, 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 tsp ground cumin and 3 garlic cloves. Stream in a little olive oil if you need to.)
- Once the tostadas have cooled slightly and have hardened, add some spicy beans on top. Top with diced avocado, diced tomatoes, and shredded cheese.
- If you want melted cheese, microwave for 45 seconds – 1 minute.
- Other topping options…taco meat, shredded chicken, beans, shrimp…lettuce, tomatoes, corn, peppers, salsa roja, salsa verde, fresh cilantro, sour cream, cheese!