Mystery Soup Revealed!!! I TOTALLY forgot to actually add the soup to the menu, therefore did not have any items for said “mystery soup”on my grocery list, so this is really “pantry soup!”
Mexican Bean Soup with Spanish Rice
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes (+overnight soaking of the beans)
Cooking Time – 1 1/2 – 2 hours
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 1 – 6 oz can tomato sauce ($.33) Think Walgreens! OFTEN on sale 3/$1 or 4/$1!
- 1 packet Casa Noel black bean chipotle seasoning mix (free) This was a gift. It’s GFCFSF. Packet of taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning (omit flour if GFCFSF) would be the substitute.
- 1 15 oz can Red Gold diced tomatoes and green chiles ($.37)
- 1/2 cup dried small red beans ($.25)
- 1/2 cup dried black beans ($.25)
- 1/2 onion, chopped ($.20)
- 1 cup frozen organic corn ($.75)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin ($.05)
- 1 tsp cornstarch ($.05)
- 3 corn ($1) On sale at Kroger 3/$1 this week! That’s summertime prices!!!
- Rinse and soak beans overnight or for at least 2 hours in HOT water. Pour off juices.
- Place beans in large saucepan. Add water so beans are at least 2 inches “under” water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high so that beans continue to cook at a gently rolling boil. Cook for 1.5 – 2 hours, until beans are soft.
- As beans are cooking, add 1/2 can of tomato sauce (save rest to make spanish rice!), can of diced tomatoes and green chiles, chopped onion, corn, cumin and salt/pepper. Whisk in 1 tsp cornstarch to thicken soup a little.
- Cook 1 cup of rice in 2.5 cups of water. Bring water boil. Add rice. Return to boil. Add other 1/2 can of tomato sauce. Add 1/2 packet of Casa Noel seasonings. (Now, add other half of Casa Noel seasonings to soup.) Cover rice and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Shuck and boil corn for 3-4 minutes in large saucepan.
- Serve soup with corn and spanish rice on the side. (Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheese if you like!)