- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onion – Thanksgiving Side Dish
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On November 14, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In Healthy Holiday,Potatoes,Recipes,Side Dish | No Comments
I think I need a support group.
Specifically, a Caramelized Onions support group. I could eat caramelized onions by the spoonful. I love the way they taste. I love the way they make my house smell when they are caramelizing. And I love the way they make mashed potatoes taste better.
I will be taking these to our Thanksgiving feast. Rest assured.
Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
Yield – 6 to 8 servings
Preparation Time -10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 6 large potatoes
- About 1/3 cup butter
- About 1/2 cup milk (butter-milk portions vary, depending on potato size)
- (Use sour cream, cream cheese…whatever you like to use when making your mashed potatoes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Caramelize the onions – heat the olive oil, sugar and balsamic vinegar in a large skillet. Add the chopped onions. Let cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Peel, cube and boil potatoes in a large pot of water. Once soft, drain and mash with the butter, milk (or whatever else) and salt and pepper.
- Combine the mashed potatoes with the caramelized onions.
- Serve warm as side dish.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/mashed-potatoes-with-caramelized-onions/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.