These delicious “stuffed” chicken thighs are really two thighs sandwiched over stuffing made from mushrooms, bread cubes and flavourings. These are so good that my son requested that we have them every night for dinner. You can serve these with pan fried potatoes and a cucumber salad or lots of other yummy combinations.
Stuffed Chicken Thighs
Yield – 6 servings
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 12 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 slices sandwich bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped *optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Saute bread cubes in about 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil.
- Saute the chopped onion in another 1 1/2 teaspoon of oil. Add chopped garlic. Add mushrooms. Add the seasonings.
- Transfer the bread crumbs and the vegetables into a large bowl. Add seasonings and chopped pecans.
- Combine the eggs and milk in a small bowl and add to the bread and vegetable mix.
- Pound the chicken thighs to make the meat an even thickness throughout.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil on a large frying pan.
- Lay out a piece of chicken with the outside of the thigh facing down. Apply a layer of stuffing. Cover with another chicken thigh with the outside of the thigh facing up. Press together firmly.
- Using a spatula, place the layered chicken on the hot pan. Sear.
- Using two spatulas (one above and one below) flip the layered “stuffed” chicken and sear the other side. You will most likely have to do this in two batches. You should not need to add more oil.
- Transfer the “stuffed” chicken to an oven proof pan and put into the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
Notes: I use the pan I seared the chicken in to pan fry cubed boiled potatoes as a side dish. The flavours from the chicken help to flavour the potatoes.