- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Magda’s Moroccan Homemade Hamburger Helper
Posted By Jenn K On December 17, 2013 @ 5:00 pm In Beef,Pasta,Recipes | 3 Comments
The other day, I had a delicious lamb tagine. It was a lovingly made, braised dish that took the chef hours to prepare. Though I generally dislike lamb, the chef used Australian lamb (which is a bit less game) and added enough wonderful Moroccan flavours, that I thoroughly enjoyed the dish. Regardless of how delicious I found it, I knew that it would never appeal to my picky son.
Moroccan Homemade Hamburger Helper
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 pound ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken, pork, whatever suits your fancy)
- 4 cups hot water (I boil it in a kettle, but you can use hot tap water)
- 1/2 pound short pasta (bow ties, macaroni or other)
- 5-7 dried apricots, roughly chopped (or whatever dried fruit you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted on a pan (or chopped nuts)
- 1 tablespoon honey
Carrot Ribbon Salad
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro (finely diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the cornstarch and spices in a small bowl.
- Add oil to a large skillet.
- When hot, cook the diced onions until translucent.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned through. Drain excess fat.
- Sprinkle the spices over the meat. Add the hot water and the pasta.
- Stir to thoroughly combine. Cook for 15 minutes or so, until all the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chopped apricots, honey and sesame seeds and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve with a salad. I made the carrot ribbon salad below.
Directions for Carrot Ribbon Salad
- Scrub carrots and then use a peeler to create carrot ribbons.
- I blanche my carrots as my son and husband are allergic to raw carrots, but you can just use them raw.
- In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients into a dressing.
- Pour just enough dressing over the carrots to coat, but not so it drips.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/magdas-moroccan-homemade-hamburger-helper/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.