Healthy, delicious, inexpensive fast food! When time and ingredients are in short supply and you are hungry, this is great dish. You can leave the peppers out if you don’t have them handy, everything else is a staple that is always on hand at my house
Even my son, who normally dislikes onions and peppers, loves them in this dish (how cool is that?).
Eggs-cellent Open Faced Sandwiches
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices of rye bread (or other bread)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I like to use a grainy mustard)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion and red pepper and saute until the vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the bread.
- When toasted, spread each piece with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon mustard.
- Beat the eggs and add salt and pepper.
- When the vegetables are soft, pour the eggs over them.
- Stir until the eggs are cooked.
- Put 1/6 of the egg mixture on each prepared piece of bread.Frugal tip: This may not seem like a frugality measure, but I think it is. When looking at the costs of a hobby or entertainment, think in terms of how many hours of enjoyment you will get out of the cost of your supplies. Also, think about how much you will enjoy working with the materials. Sometimes, it makes more sense to spend more money on something that will give you long term pleasure than spending less money on something that will not last or something that you will not enjoying working with.Recently, I spent a lot of money on some beautiful yarn. The yarn cost $40.00 for one skein. However, I spent many hours designing and then knitting and finally gifting the beautiful shawl I made from the yarn. In all, it cost me about a dollar an hour for the joy of working with this fabulous yarn and I enjoyed every moment of it. I also have been knitting some scarves recently. I spent several hours working on each scarf, some made from yarns that I really did not enjoy working with. The yarns were significantly less money, but the enjoyment level was much lower and on a hourly basis, these yarns were actually more expensive than the more costly yarn.This way of looking at hobbies and other entertainment will not always work. However, it is something to take into consideration when looking at the cost of these things. Check out Magda Makes for more information.