- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Magda’s Creme Caramel French Toast
Posted By Jenn K On October 18, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In Bread,Breakfast,Eggs,Homemade,Recipes | 2 Comments
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, nutritionally speaking. This particular breakfast is NOT nutritional, but it is a wonderful, delicious, decadent breakfast for a special occasion. This is the breakfast that everyone asks for when it is their birthday or other special day. We have this a few times a year, and only on the weekend when a protein fueled brain is not as essential as on weekdays.
I warn you, this recipe may be addictive! It tastes so delicious and yet is so frugal that is you could have it more often, but then the specialness of it would be diminished and your nutritional needs might not be satisfied.
Creme Caramel French Toast
Yield – 4-6 servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 loaf multi grain bread, sliced (slightly stale bread is great for this recipe)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small heavy saucepan melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring, until smooth and bubbly.
- Pour into a 8′ by 8″ baking dish.
- Cut bread into slices into smaller pieces and arrange upright (crust side down) over the brown sugar mixture.
- Fill the entire bottom of the dish with tightly packed bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Pour over mixture.
- Push the bread into the mixture with the back of a spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 24 hours.
- In the morning, remove the chilled dish from the refrigerator, remove cover, push the bread sown into the mixture again and set on counter for a half hour to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the bread is golden on top and a knife inserted into the casserole comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
- To serve lift pieces out and flip onto plates. This will give a wonderful sauce that works beautifully instead of maple syrup.
Frugal Tip: Somewhat stale bread can be reused in many ways: this recipe, bread pudding (see Magda’s Cherry Bread Pudding ), bread crumbs (whir through the food processor and freeze or freeze whole pieces, then whir through the food processor when you have accumulated enough bread make it worth it), croutons (cut the bread into cubes, saute and use in stuffing/dressing, toppers for soup (such as French onion soup), bread salads (such as Fattoush or panzanella), bread dumplings and more!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/magdas-creme-caramel-french-toast/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Magda’s Cherry Bread Pudding: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2012/05/magdas-cherry-bread-pudding-2.html
 Download the FREE $5 Dinners Toolbar: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.alexa.toolbar/atbp/dgaaDl/download/index.htm
 Learn more.: http://www.5dollardinners.com/toolbar
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.