- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Lindsey’s Savory Butternut Soup – Food Allergies on a Budget
Posted By Lindsey On November 2, 2011 @ 5:21 pm In Dairy Free,Food Allergies on a Budget,Gluten Free,Recipes,Soup | 2 Comments
Butternut squash is such a lovely squash. It’s simple to prepare, needs little adornment, and totally delicious. The gorgeous orange color is a celebration of sorts of the glory of autumn. I like it in soup.
This soup features butternut squash in a top 8 free, vegan way. It’s a savory soup with just a touch heat and natural sweetness from the squash itself.
We’ll start by chopping a butternut squash in half. Make sure to use a sturdy knife!
Roast the squash until soft. Scoop all of the flesh out into a small bowl.
Savory Butternut Soup
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 1 hour
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 cups roasted)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dairy free margarine  or oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium russet potato, cooked
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and oil a baking sheet
- Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds and place cut side up on the baking sheet.
- Pierce the flesh of the squash a few times with a fork or knife.
- Roast squash for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool until you can handle it.
- Scoop the flesh of the squash out of the skin and reserve.
- In a dutch oven saute the onion and garlic in the dairy free margarine  on medium heat until soft and lightly golden in color.
- Slowly add in the vegetable stock and remaining ingredients.
- Mash them up a little in the pot to combine. You will have lumps at this point and it will not be perfect. Don’t worry, we’ll make it all smooth in just a bit.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- To smooth out the soup pour it into a blender and blend on low until it’s the consistency you’d like.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/lindseys-savory-butternut-soup-food-allergies-on-a-budget/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 dairy free margarine: http://frugalfoodallergies.com/youll-never-guess-what-i-found/
 Add this recipe to ZipList!: http://www.5dollardinners.comvoid(0);
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.