I never really liked chicken Parmesan. A thick dried out chicken breast smothered in a so-so sauce and topped with too much chewy mozzarella cheese. And loaded with calories to boot! Then I played with a freezer friendly recipe to cut down on excessive calories and boost the favor. Now I am in love. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!
I first cut those massive chicken breasts into more reasonable portions (around 4-5 oz each). I then dip each portion in a beaten egg, then into Italian bread crumbs. Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until done. Baking instead of pan frying is a great way to cut down on calories.
After the chicken is done cooking, I make this simple but rich tomato sauce. When I first saw this recipe on OAMM, I couldn’t believe that only tomato sauce, garlic powder and a touch of butter would be enough. I was wrong. 🙂 This sauce is really good! You could skip the butter for even leaner sauce….but I wouldn’t!
I transfer the chicken portions to the pan that I want to freeze or make the dish in. Then I pour all that yummy sauce over the top.
I add a fat pinch of Parmesan cheese over each breast. Most chicken parm recipes use both mozzarella and Parmesan but I found that using just Parmesan was enough. Plus, it saved more calories.
You can bake this now or freeze!
Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan
Adapted from – Sauce recipe from OAMM
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 50 minutes
- 3/4-1 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast ($1.99)
- 1 egg ($0.10)
- 3/4 c Italian Breadcrumbs (or homemade if you would like) ($0.25)
- 32 oz tomato sauce ($1.20)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 2 tbsp butter ($0.20)
- 1/3 c (or less) shredded Parmesan cheese ($0.50)
- Serve with whole grain pasta and veggies ($2)
- Cut chicken into 4-5 oz pieces.
- Dip chicken in beaten egg, then dredge with breadcrumbs. Place in a foil lined baking pan.
- Mix tomato sauce & garlic powder and heat to a boil.
- Simmer 10 min or until thick.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Cover chicken with sauce and add a pinchful of cheese to each piece of chicken.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Serve Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan with whole grain pasta and a side of veggies.