Thank you Gayle for pointing me to this recipe! Rice + Lentils = Complete Protein, and a cheap one too!
1 cup rice, uncooked ($.20)
1 cup green lentils, uncooked ($.50)
1/2 of an onion, finely chopped ($.20)
1 small can Muir Glen tomato paste (free!) Watch for Muir Glen tomato paste to go on sale for less than a $1 and then use $1 coupon.
1 packet Taco Seasoning, or The Frugal Mom’s Taco Seasoning ($.50) I omitted the flour in Donna’s recipe!
1 bag corn or flour tortillas ($.69-$1.29) I used corn to keep it gluten free.
1 cup shredded cheese ($.75) Omit if GFCF!
Salsa or sour cream or other favorite Mexican garnish ($.50)
1/2 bag Cascadian Farm frozen corn ($.75)
GF Chocolate Chip Cookies ($.32)
1. Bring 2 1/4 of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of rice. Return to boil. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes until rice is done.
2. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup lentils. Cook lentils in 4 cups of water for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain off excess water.
3. Combine cooked rice and lentils in large saucepan. Add tomato paste + 2 tomato paste cans worth of water. Stir through. Add onions, seasoning packet or spices. Let simmer about 10 minutes. Check on it to make sure it doesn’t get too “dry”.
4. Spoon lentil-rice mixture into tortilla. Add shredded cheese. Wrap up burrito style!
4. Cook frozen corn as directed. Serve as side dish or inside the burrito.
5. Have cookies for dessert!