Rice + Lentils = Complete Protein, and a cheap one too!
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- 1 cup rice, uncooked ($.20)
- 1 cup green lentils, uncooked ($.50)
- 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped ($.20)
- 1 small can Muir Glen tomato paste (free!) Watch for Muir Glen tomato paste to go on sale for less than a $1 and then use $1 coupon.
- 2-3 tbsp homemade taco seasoning ($.50)
- 1 bag corn or flour tortillas ($.69-$1.29) I used corn to keep it gluten free.
- 1 cup shredded cheese ($.75) Omit if GFCF!
- Salsa or sour cream or other favorite Mexican garnish ($.50)
- 1/2 bag Cascadian Farm frozen corn ($.75)
- Bring 2 1/4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of rice. Return to boil. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes until rice is done.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup lentils. Cook lentils in 4 cups of water for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain off excess water.
- Combine cooked rice and lentils in large saucepan. Add tomato paste + 2 tomato paste cans worth of water. Stir through.
- Add onions, seasoning packet or spices. Let simmer about 10 minutes. Check on it to make sure it doesn’t get too “dry”.
- Spoon lentil-rice mixture into tortilla. Add shredded cheese. Wrap up burrito style!
- Cook frozen corn as directed. Serve as side dish or inside the burrito.