Spring is here. (I think.)
I know in many parts of the country, it seems like you skipped spring. 30 degrees one day, 80 degrees the next. While the weather hasn’t been quite that hormonal here in TX, it certainly smells like spring and there is pollen dust everywhere. *achoo*
(Actually, we did have a hormonal weather day earlier this week…it was 68 when the boys left for school…in shorts and t-shirts…and by lunchtime it was 45. Thankfully it was raining, so they didn’t go out for recess. I did not send coats because I had no clue that a cold front was coming through. DOH! I figure if that’s my biggest #momfail of the week, I’m doing alright!!!)
This is a fabulously flavorful dish and perfect for spring. It’s light, but warm and oh so sabroso. (For some reason, sabroso popped into my head as I was thinking “oh so”…sabroso means flavorful in spanish. So while I’m being redundant in that sentence, I’m pretending that I’m not.)
Adore how the white wine flavors mesh with the lemon and the sweet peas…perfection in a pot here y’all.
Also, I should note that I don’t buy “fancy ingredients” like cooking wines very often. So when I do, I like to use them wisely (sorta sparingly!). A good substitute for the white wine would be chicken stock. And you could reduce overall meal costs by serving with rice instead of potatoes. 🙂
Dutch Oven Lemon Chicken with Peas
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($.05)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed ($.20)
- 1 1/4 (ish) pounds boneless chicken breast, or boneless chicken thighs ($3)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup white cooking wine ($1)
- Juice from 2 lemons ($.50)
- 1 onion, finely chopped ($.30)
- 1 lb. bag frozen peas ($1)
- Side dish suggestion – Baked red potatoes  or sweet potatoes  ($1)
- Heat the olive oil and garlic in the Dutch oven and add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and brown on both sides. Then add the white cooking wine, lemon juice and onion. Stir together and cover, cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas.
- Prepare the potatoes or other side dish while the peas heat up with the chicken.
- Serve Dutch Oven Lemon Chicken with Peas, along with side dish.