So last Monday I barely made it off the couch. I mustered up the energy to get the kids to and from school. And couldn’t manage to get to the store.
So I went on Thursday morning. The place was dead. And I ran into my friend Carrie! She was there with her little girl, and I had all three boys with me. Despite the fact that both her daughter and Ryan were acting shy, I think I caught them making eyes at each other. 😉
Before we go any further, I’ve got a budget update for you!
For the past umpteen months, we have been operating on a $60/week budget. Sometimes it’s a little more, sometimes a little less…but on average we have been spending $240-250/month at the grocery store. With all the newly apparent food allergies/intolerances for Tyler, it is stretching our budget even further….s0 we have decided to up our grocery budget to $300/month or $75/week average. This will give me more room to get the uber expensive ingredients like coconut yogurt and GFCFSF shredded cheese, and oat-free cereals.
At present, Tyler doesn’t eat dairy, soy, oats, and pears. We have an appointment later this week to determine if further testing is necessary. We settled on a formula that he likes and I’m hoping to switch over to rice milk after he gains a few more pounds!
Here’s the haul from last week. It proved to be quite the workout pushing the cart, with at least 2 kids riding along plus all the groceries!
I splurged and bought Rolos. You’ll find out why soon enough!
- $1.18 Chex cereal (used printable coupons that are no longer available, but there is a $.50/1 Chex coupon in this week’s paper)
- $.19 tomato paste – used $.75/1 Muir Glen coupon
- $.19 boxes pasta – after sale and newspaper coupon
- $.69 boxes taco shells – after sale and newspaper coupon
- “The usual” plus kiwis, kale, red cabbage
- $.99/lb chicken – split, drumsticks, thighs (I bought 6 packages)
- $2.49/lb chuck roast – Will use it for 2 meals
- Italian sausage
Total spent at Kroger: $80.37 + $20ish that Steve spent on Monday
This Week’s Kroger Trip
Not quite the haul as last week! But I did run into 2 other friends at the store yesterday! It’s been a good “friends week” for me at the store! So fun to get to catch up!
- $.28 each Steamers – used $.50/1 coupon that doubled, $1.28 sale price
- $1.79/lb chicken breast
- $1.99/lb ground chuck
- $.50/1 cans tuna
- More $1.18 Chex (I did order additional coupons to go back later this week to buy a bunch of boxes. I will likely do that, along with make a stop at the health food store later this week!)
The rest was mostly produce, milk and some ginger! I’m going to crystallize it and use it for a topping on some muffins later in the week…
Total spent at Kroger: $46.17
Total for the month: $146.54
Thanks to Andrea at Savings Lifestyle and Marcy at Stretching a Buck for posting the best deals and coupon matchups at my stores each week! Find the coupon match-ups for your grocery store at The Frugal Map!