- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Kasha Turkey Chili – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 24, 2011 @ 5:40 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Gluten Free,Recipes,Turkey | 12 Comments
I found a box of Kasha in the pantry alongside the other grains when I was rummaging through the pantry on Friday. I’d purchased this a while back and tried a recipe…and didn’t like it at all!
But I thought I’d give it another chance. You know…let it redeem itself!
+There was a recipe on the back of the box for a Kasha Chili. But I wanted to add some protein for my men!
I made a standard chili (using tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes because I’m all out…but not for long…as the Mega Event sale this week has them on sale and there’s a great coupon matchup ! So I’ll be restocking next week!) using ground turkey, kidney beans and Kasha, along with tomato sauce and spices.
So this is Kasha.
Kasha is roasted buckwheat kernals. It is the cereal of choice in some eastern European countries…seems it would be similar to steel cut oatmeal. Despite the fact that the word “wheat” appears in “buckwheat”, kasha and buckwheat are gluten-free.
We have just enough to make more kasha in the box to make this again. And we certainly will!
The Kasha redeemed itself with this chili!
Turkey Kasha Chili
- 1 lb ground turkey ($2.50)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed ($.10)
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained ($.67)
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce ($.67)
- 1 cup Kasha kernals ($.75)
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth 
- 2 Tbsp chili powder ($.10)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can green beans ($.50)
- In a large saucepan, brown the ground turkey with the crushed garlic. Once browned, add the kidney beans, tomato sauce, Kasha and chicken broth. Stir together and bring to boiling. (if I had had diced tomatoes, I would have used 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with their juices and 1 8 oz can tomato sauce.)
- Reduce heat and add the chili powder and salt and pepper. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat up the green beans.
- Serve Turkey Kasha Chili with green beans, or other veggie side dish.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/kasha-turkey-chili-5-dinner-challenge/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 the Mega Event sale this week has them on sale and there’s a great coupon matchup: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150101163413001&set=a.203349058000.129768.161248558000
 homemade chicken broth: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/08/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken.html
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.