{CLOSED} I’m the Real Deal – Are You? (Tell Us Why and Be Entered to Win $100 Visa GC!)

by Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom on May 21, 2012

Update: This giveaway is now closed. Winner is Katy P. Congrats!

I can’t tell you how hard it is for me to say those words. Because I’m not an arrogant person. I’d say I’m humble most of the time, with a healthy dose of confidence too…but it’s true. I’m the real deal.

(Said in the most confident, humble way.)

I’m the real deal because I’m working hard every night to make healthful and inexpensive meals for my guys.

I have one passion in life. Well, two really…rolled into one. My passion is to feed my family healthful meals each night, all while not burning too big ‘a hole in my wallet. And that passion then gets extended here on $5 Dinners. I love, love, love sharing these meals (successes and failures) with you. I love teaching you shortcuts, showing you how I make meals, where I find my deals and how it all works together to reduce your grocery budget.

I can’t help but feel giddy when I get emails and messages from you sharing how much you were able to save, or how you tried a new recipe or cooking method. I’m so fortunate and blessed to be able to help you on your journey to spending less money on groceries, and keeping healthy food on your dinner table.

Now it’s your turn, time to turn up the confidence and tell me why you’re the real deal. What are you passionate about? What are you proud of yourself for doing or becoming?

Everyone who answers the above question will be eligible to win a $100 Visa Gift Card!!!

Just leave your answer in the comments. Responses left before Friday, May 25th at 9 am EST will be eligible to win the $100 gift card.

Go….

Disclosure: This is a sponsored post for got milk?, another real deal. Say no to Imitations, learn more at scienceofimitationmilk.com.

Laura Pilker May 21, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’m the real deal because this time two years ago, my world was falling apart. I lost my marriage, my house, and all my money. And two years later I am doing better than ever and I’m finally growing into the me I want to be!

kasey May 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

I’m the real deal because I consistently look for ways to make things a little easier for someone else

Kristen May 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’m the real deal because I decided to end an unhappy marriage in order to seek out a life that brought me fulfillment and meaningful work.

Helen Novielli May 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I’m the real deal because I find fun, inexpensive, crafty projects to keep my toddler creative and inspire her imagination every week.

Whitney May 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’m the real deal because I am determined to raise my children to the best of my ability. That includes feeding them healthy, homemade food, educating them, playing with them, and most importantly making sure they always know how much they are loved.

Julie R May 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’m the real deal because I have persistently pursued health one baby step at a time, out of chronic illness & now am pursuing health for my family one baby step at a time (Just found out I’m expecting baby #1!).

Kristia May 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I’m the real deal because in 2011 I made a goal for myself to run my first half-marathon. I finished it, loved it, and I am not training for my third race.

debbie May 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I’m the real deal because I work hard for my family. As a wife to the most fabulous husband I could ever ask for and a mom to 3 beautiful children – life is busy enough. But throw in one child with autism, another with adhd and the last with a degenerative eye disease – wow! life is hectic. Somehow, some way, I manage to hold it all together. Advocate for my children. Be supportive to my husband. I take care of our home and am able to make homemade meals every night. That’s why I am the real deal

Deborah May 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I’m the real deal because I’m working hard to pay off $90,000 in student loans in 6 years – 2 more years to go! – while eating/cooking in the healthiest way possible for my husband and myself, all while saving money for retirement, travel and making sure we stay debt free.

Jenny May 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I am the real deal because I strive to love God, my husband and my 16 month old son each day.

Lynne May 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I am the real deal because I work hard to make my family work! That includes all sorts of thins but I am passionate about making a safe, exciting, fun life for my family.

LW May 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I’m the real deal because I’m passionate about hair. Now that seems like a surface and unimportant issue at first, but let me explain. I feel that women, in general, have a tall mountain to climb, just to accept themselves as they are and media and tv hinder instead of help most times. I have natural hair, meaning that my hair is not straightened chemically or by heat. As a Black woman hair is a very complex issue and many of us are not taught how to care for our hair in it’s natural state. I find that by leaving my hair in it’s natural state and styling it in various ways, that I am a positive example for other women and not just Black women, but women with naturally curly hair of any ethnicity, since curly hair needs to be cared for in a very similar fashion regardless of race.

Dana (A Slob Comes Clean) May 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I’m the real deal because after almost three years of keeping my Slob Blog a secret from the people in my “real life”, I stood in front of my own church and spoke at a women’s function last week. It’s freeing to be able to bring my online life and offline world together and I’m excited to see where God is leading!

Christina Troeltzsch May 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I an the real deal because I care for my family the best I can, I work full time, but still make dinner most nights, and send healthy lunches with my 2 boys to school, in addition, I take my boys to various afterschool activities, and doctors appointments. All the while dealing with my husband’s chronic illnesses and my oldest son’s muscular dystrophy (thankfully we are in the very early stages there.)

Julie May 21, 2012 at 3:02 pm

i’m the real ideal because i don’t hide behind a mask of everything’s fine with my loved ones – i am learning to reach out for help when i need it and not close down into myself which would be easier.

Jen May 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’m the real deal because I work hard to stay current in my profession while still taking care of my family. No easy task!

Kelly Hess May 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’m the real deal because everyday I prove you can be a successful working mom in today’s socierty! I am a sales manager for a Fortune 100 company responsible for over $30MM in annual sales. I have 2 happy, energetic boys ages 6 and 3 and one on the way in July!

TraciFree May 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I’m the real deal because I put my money where my mouth is. Our dollars speak louder than our words so I choose to shop at places that hold the same values as me (i.e. not Walmart). Not always an easy task, but it’s important to me!

Kathryn May 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I am proud to have raised a son with a good work ethic and moral values who will be graduating high school in a few weeks.

Brenda H May 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’m the real deal because I have chosen to be a full-time mom, to play with my children, and enjoy every moment of every day.

Barbara May 21, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I am the real deal because I do the very best I can for my family. One daughter with autism, another just entering her teens, working part time, managing to make quality time for my girls and my husband, (and, sometimes, myself!), there are not enough hours in the day. I am thankful for a supportive, loving husband, and loving children.

Cara May 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I’m the real deal because I have an amazing family and love being there for them even if it meant us moving 300 miles and quitting great jobs in the process. We wanted to be closer to family and that was very important for us!

Caits May 21, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I’m the real deal because I’m teaching my daughter to be healthy, right from the beginning (she’s 7 months old).

Kristy Bartlett May 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I am the real deal because I lovingly care for my family, teaching the children and nourishing my family through both healthy food and environment.

karen hiebert May 21, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Im the real deal since im working on saving money for us everyday whether it be grocery, etc. :)

Diane Pruitt May 21, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I’m the real deal because I just turned 66 and am raising our last 2 children 10 & 12 (adopted 9yrs ago)) with severe ADHD. Plus taking care of my darling husband of 31 yrs who has a lot of medical issues. Also dealing with my own medical issues. However, I am thankful & blessed for each day.

Sarah Smith May 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm

You know, this is a really funny question because my husband and I were talKing about this just laSt Sunday! I was working on getting ready to teach the 4’s and 5’s class at church and just not feeling like I am a great teacher. Even though I try! I just get so excited with what I am teaching and I know a lot about it. But I start stumbling over it all because I am passionate about it. I wanna get it all out there before people are really ready to hear it. I told my husband all this and he told me that is what makes a great teacher is one who is passionate about what they are tea hung. A teacher can talk about it, but they can’t teach the passion! I guess a few people have said that about me to him and I had no idea. What a confidence boost!

Stephanie H May 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I’m the real deal because I homeschool my child,and I love being a wonderful wife and mother!

Katy P May 21, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I’m the real deal because I try to live frugally so I can stay at home with my children.

Mariangela May 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I’m the real deal because I moved from Italy,my homeland,to start a family with my soulmate here in the US and I never looked back,even tough I’m incredibly lonely at times.
I’m raising my two beautiful daughters to be Mary’s in a Martha’s world.

Jenna May 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I’m the real deal, because I’m raising my 3 yr and 1 yr old sons, both with special needs while my husband runs a restaurant working 80+ hours a week. I’m trying to make the little things special sicne they miss out on some many of the big things like Holidays and weekends.

Angelia Johnson May 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I am the real deal because I have been married now for 21 years, we have a wonderful daughter who is 17 and because I was able to stay home (after getting hurt in the Navy) and re-define my life. Learn to live within my means. Survive cancer, operations and still achieve a sunny outlook on life because I treat every day like my last. My daughter is self confident and raised in the church my husband has a wife that acts like there is no more tommarro and I apreciate eveyday I have left on earth..God is good

Julie May 21, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I’m the real deal because gardening has become my passion and already this year I’ve been able to bless my neighbors with organic vegetables from my garden. Gardening gives me a respite from my chaotic life and allows me to share with others too.

Chandra May 21, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I am the real deal because I make sure my family is taken care of daily (meals made, clothes washed, house cleaned, etc)!

Denise Young May 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I’m the real deal because family always came first (I homeschooled our 2 children)….(now they are married and have blessed me with grandchildren I can enjoy!)….and as a pastors wife for 37 yrs, I have been involved in many lives during happy times and sad times.

Jamie May 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I’m the real deal because I’m really taking care of my kids each and every day. No village here!

Jessie C. May 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I’m the real deal because I’m always very generous in helping needed people.

Jackie May 21, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I’m the real deal because I’m freezer cooking for my family while I serve the poor and the needy. I ‘m teaching women how to be efficient with their time, money and energy.

Kathy M May 21, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I’m the real deal because after being a stay at home mom for 11 years to my two children, I have gone back to work part-time. It was hard at first, but now I have a routine for work, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, helping with homework, etc. I never thought I would go back to work, but I did and my life did not fall apart. And the extra money helps more than I thought it would!

Shandi Naugle May 21, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I’m proud of myself for finally starting my beauty blog:)

Megan May 21, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I’m the real deal because instead of working outside the home I stay home with my kids and save money by couponing and finding good deals!

Cassie May 21, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I’m the real deal because I am a sinner saved by grace, Army wife, homeschooling mom of 3 miracles and an angel. I love my family with all I have. Some days I fall flat on my face but I refuse to give up. Every day is a new start.

Lisa May 21, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I am the real deal because I am cutting out unnecessary time away from home. I am vowing to spend more time at home. Home is the best place to be!

Alison of NOVA Frugal Family May 21, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I am the real deal because I quit my job to make my family a priority. I spend all day with my wonderful three year old who is the light of my life. I love playing with him and molding him into a wonderful little boy. He makes me laugh every day! I make a home cooked meal every night and special homemade treats through the week including a homemade breakfast on the weekends. I coupon and save money in order to make ends meet on my husband’s salary. I love my husband and family and I work to make them happy every day!!

Michelle B. May 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I’m the real deal because, despite losing my job within the first year of my marriage, and my husband losing his job in our second year…I’m working two jobs to make ends meet, and my husband and I are still very grateful and happy to have each other, and grateful to be in such a loving and supportive marriage.

Heather N. May 21, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I’m the real deal since I do the best I can to take care of my family (husband, daughter and mom). I quit a stressful full-time job last summer and four days later I was helping my mom with her first cataract surgery. If I had not quit I would not have been able to help my mom with her surgeries, our daughter survive her first year away at college, make sure that my husband and I had healthy meals and take on some of the home stress by taking over some of the house and yard tasks.

Kay Morris May 22, 2012 at 12:33 am

I’m the real deal because I celebrate my wonderful adult children, their loving spouses and my grandchildren, biological and bonus. As a breast cancer survivor I share my story when appropriate and encourage other women to do self breast exams and take care of themselves. I believe my cancer was found early so I could “payback” the kindness and generosity given me by volunteering in a cancer clinic and working on other special projects for my local Cancer Institute. I love being a woman and believe we are all sisters. The good that we do comes back to us ten fold. Caring for and assisting others is my passion.

Jackie Bentley May 22, 2012 at 4:28 am

I am the Real Deal!! My husband passed away in January of 2011. I have had to literally start my life over. I have had to move into a small apartment. Life is definitely different, but I am a survivor! I am trying my best to do what my husband wants me to do…get on with my life..It is very difficult. I am trying to cook as healthy as I can for myself. The 5 dollar dinners helps me out so much. The recipes I get from your website helps me so much! I can cook one meal & have plenty of left-overs!!

Mary Miller May 22, 2012 at 7:50 am

After 30 years of marriage, I finally had the courage to leave. I had been there to raise my sons–one now in college and an Eagle Scout and another one serving in the Navy in a nuclear submarine! I had to endure neglect, irresponsibility, gambling problems and anger issues. Lost my house, my retirement and my financial freedom as I raised my husband who thinks all you have to do to be rid of your problems is file for bankruptcy which we did 3 times! My sons know Mom has their backs but they also have the life skills to make it on their owns–which they are!! I am happy, have great friends and new interests!! And I can sleep each night in peace………

Amy Schrader May 22, 2012 at 8:17 am

I’m the real deal because I homeschool my 3 kids, work a couple part time jobs to help the family, volunteer for several organizations, show up when I say I will, help young couples with babysitting so they can strengthen their marriage (or just get a break), and cook healthy meals at home on a tight budget.