I love simple meals.
I love experimenting with simple meals. Giving them a little extra something special.
With the chicken on special and the acorn squash on sale, I thought I’d have some fun with tonight. Added a touch of honey to them both. Then roasted them into a state of perfect deliciousness!
Honey Roasted Acorn Squash and Chicken
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 30 (at least) minutes marinating time
Cooking Time – 55 minutes
- 6-8 chicken drumsticks ($2.03) Bought a package of organic drumsticks for $3.03 and used $1 store mailer coupon
- Drizzles of olive oil ($.05)
- 1/4 cup honey ($.40)
- Dashes of cinnamon and ginger ($.05)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($.02)
- 1 medium acorn squash (about 2 lb.) ($.99) On sale for $.49/lb at my grocery store!
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened ($.40)
- 1/4 cup honey ($.40)
- Dash of cinnamon and ginger ($.05)
- 1 cup brown rice ($.40)
**Note: I buy raw, local honey from the farmer’s market by the 5 lb. jar for $20! Much cheaper to buy “in bulk”
- In medium saucepan, cook 1 cup brown rice according to directions on the package. This takes about 45-50 minutes, so plan accordingly!
- Place the drumsticks into baking dish. Drizzle olive oil over the drumsticks and then pour the honey over the drumsticks.
- Sprinkle with a few dashes of cinnamon, ginger and garlic powder. Using back of spoon or fingers, spread the honey over and under the drumsticks. (Will be thick, and that’s OK!) Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes…but the longer the better! Bake uncovered at 400 for 45-55 minutes. Once the chicken is in the oven…start on the squash.
- Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds with spoon (and save for roasting ). Cut the squash into wedges along the “seams” of the squash.
- Place wedges into baking dish or small roasting pan. Roast (along side the chicken) for 15-20 minutes at 400.
- While the squash is on their “initial roast,” in a small bowl, whisk together softened butter or margarine (I use dairy free margarine) until creamy.
- Whisk in a dash or two of both cinnamon and ginger to the honey butter.
- Remove squash from oven and then drizzle the honey butter mixture over the squash.
- Return honey squash to oven and roast for another 15-20 minutes at 400. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Place squash wedges onto serving plate and pour the honey butter liquid from the base of the baking dish over each serving!
- And if you time this right, the rice, chicken and squash should all be ready to go about the same time!
- Serve Honey Baked Chicken with Honey Roasted Acorn Squash and Brown Rice.