- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Homemade Mini Calzones
Posted By Sharon On March 15, 2012 @ 5:15 pm In Homemade,Pizza,Recipes | No Comments
These are similar in size to the popular frozen “pizza pockets” that teenagers love. These can be made very economically at home. They are also larger than the frozen version, and are more filling. This recipe requires you to make your own dough, which will take extra time. If you are in a hurry, you can buy pre-made pizza dough in the refrigerator section of your local supermarket. If you are looking for a night off from cooking, have your teenagers make these for the entire family. Serve with fresh fruit or vegetables.
Homemade Mini Calzones
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 1 hour and 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 12 minutes
- 4 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour $0.72
- 1 package of yeast $0.43
- 1 t. salt $0.02
- 1 t. sugar $0.01
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 T. olive oil $0.16
- 1 box Banquet brown- and- serve sausages (6.4 oz pack, includes 10) $1
- 1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz.) $1.99
- 1/2 can of Hunts plain tomato sauce (A 29 oz can is $1.10) $0.55
- 1/4 a stick of butter $0.08
- Combine 2 cups of the flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Add water and oil. Stir well.
- Then add another 2 cups. Stir together, then place dough onto a lightly greased, and floured, surface. (1/2 cup of flour is reserved for kneading and rolling the dough.)
- Knead until smooth, around 5 – 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for around 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and cut dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll out one piece of dough into a rectangle shape, around 8 inches by 7 inches.
- Brown sausages in a frying pan. Then cut into 40 pieces. (6 will be used per calzone, with some left over.)
- Put sauce, cheese and sausages on 1/2 of the dough. Fold over and pinch edges to seal. Then put a few holes in the top of the dough with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 12 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Brush the top of each finished calzone with butter.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/homemade-mini-calzones/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.