Homemade Italian Breadsticks
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 12 minutes
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil ($.05)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour ($.40)
- 1 1/2 cup white flour ($.30)
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed ($.10)
- 2 tsp sugar ($.03)
- 1 packet active dry yeast ($.20) Look out for coupons for yeast!
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese ($.15)
To brush over the top of the breadsticks:
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil ($.20)
- Few pinches of salt
- In bread machine, add ingredients in the order listed above. Set to dough cycle.
- Once dough cycle is completed, flour hands and remove dough from the machine. Place dough on lightly floured surface.
- Knead in extra flour if dough is sticking to fingers. Divide dough into 4 medium balls. Then divide each ball into muffin size balls. Roll out into skinny, long piece. Twist 2 pieces together and place on greased baking sheet. Once all dough has been formed into the twisted sticks, brush with olive oil and sprinkle salt over the tops. Place baking sheet in warm place and let dough rise for an hour.
- Once breadsticks have risen, place them in the oven and bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes. (Baking time will depend on the thickness of your breadsticks. Once they begin to golden, they will be finished baking.
- Serve Italian Breadsticks with Salad or Spaghetti…or other favorite Italian dish!
- Unused breadsticks can be frozen or eaten within a day or so!
Cost $1.48 for 10 breadsticks!