This recipe was originally posted in 2011!
A few weeks ago, I shared what I like to do when I get ground meat from the grocery store. (See Batch Cooking – The Ground Beef Edition! ) This is part 2, if you will.
Last week, I purchased 2 packages of ground chuck and 2 packages of ground turkey . Seeing that most of my January meal plan  is from the pantry and freezer, I knew that I wouldn’t use up all of this meat for meals last week. I did make the Turkey Kasha Chili  on Friday night, and while that was simmering on the stove, I set to work on preparing the rest of the packages of meat.
First up, I combined the 2 packages of ground beef into meatloaf/meatballs mixture. With about 2.4 lbs, I was able to make 1 meatloaf and 16 medium sized herbed meatballs. (Recipe below.) I put the meatloaf in the freezer . And also did a flash freeze of the meatballs. Once they were partially frozen, then I transferred them into a plastic freezer baggie.
And with the other package of ground turkey, I made some Turkey Meatloaf Bites, similar to these BBQ Mini Meatloaves ! I baked them in my mini-muffin tin and then let them cool completely before adding to the freezer.
Now we’ve got a meatloaf, meatballs and some Turkey Meatloaf Bites in the freezer for next month!
One Step Ahead!
(If you’ve read my Breakfast and Lunch Cookbook , you know what that means!)
- About 1.25 lb ground chuck
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs, homemade or store bought
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb. pasta noodles
- 3-4 cups spaghetti sauce
- Frozen veggies, as side dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground chuck, eggs, bread crumbs, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper. Form into 1″-ish size meatballs.
- Flash freeze and then transfer to a plastic freezer baggie.
- Or brown on all sides, then add spaghetti sauce and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until meatballs have cooked through.
- (Alternative: bake the meatballs at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Add sauce over the top before serving.
- Serve Herbed Meatablls over pasta noodles with spaghetti saucesauce and frozen veggies.