- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Herbed Chicken on Vegetable Confetti
Posted By Alea On August 31, 2010 @ 5:20 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Pasta,Recipes | 8 Comments
Gardening helps offset my grocery bill, especially since I grow items that can be expensive at the grocery store such as peppers and tomatoes. The one downside to gardening is that supply sometimes exceeds demand, particularly when I grow things like yellow squash and zucchini.
My children are now examining all baked goods with a suspicious eye, so I have to step up my game and hide the squash where they will least expect it: in plain sight! The peppers provide a flavorful cover, even if they do not entirely camouflage the squash.
Ingredients for Vegetable Confetti
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups mixed color mild peppers, cut into thin strips
2 cups zucchini, julienned (If you are not sure how to julienne squash, here you go !)
2 cups yellow squash, julienned
1 cup onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, shredded
Directions for Vegetable Confetti
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the peppers, squash, zucchini, onion, and garlic.
2. Sauté for 3 minutes over a medium high heat.
3. Reduce heat to low and add basil. Cook on low for 7 – 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Ingredients for Herbed Chicken
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions for Herbed Chicken
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Combine the spices in a small bowl.
3. Pour spices onto a dinner size plate. Dredge each chicken breast through the spices, then flip and coat the other side. Place chicken on broiler pan.
4. Broil for 4 minutes. Flip the chicken over and broil for 4 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Cut each breast into thin slices and serve on Vegetable Confetti.
How are you hiding your excess zucchini?
Alea shares her tips for saving money and time while reducing waste in her home at Premeditated Leftovers . She is committed to providing her family with homegrown, organic produce despite living in an inhospitable climate. Alea chronicles her gardening efforts at One Determined Gardener . She can also be found on Twitter . Check out all of her $5 Dinners Recipes  too.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/herbed-chicken-vegetable-confetti/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 here you go: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/07/angel-hair-julienned-zucchini-garden-herbs-grow-eat-ave.html
 Premeditated Leftovers: http://www.premeditatedleftovers.com/
 One Determined Gardener: http://www.onedeterminedgardener.com/
 Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/aleasleftovers
 all of her $5 Dinners Recipes: http://www.5dollardinner.com/tag/alea
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.