I have been making this stew ever since my children were very young. It is savory and delicious, and it is quite healthy. One time, I remember having relatives over one day for supper, and I served this with crackers. Their young children wouldn’t even taste it. They were used to consuming pretty, processed foods and eating at fast food restaurants. I had to make them peanut butter sandwiches instead! Sad.
My own children still enjoy it very much. For us, it is a staple dinner that is both healthy and delicious. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Hearty Minestrone Stew
Yield – 6 to 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 9 potatoes – peeled and cut $1.25
5 organic carrots – peeled and sliced .75 cents
1/2 chopped onion .20 cents
1 clove chopped garlic .10 cents
3 T. Goya barley (from a 16 oz. bag found in the dried beans section of the store) .07 cents
3 T. dried lentils (from a 16 oz. bag) .07 cents
1/4 C. dried split peas (from a 16 oz. bag) .10 cents
2 cups Hunts Tomato Sauce (16 oz.) .75 cents
1/2 bag of wide egg noodles .75 cents
- Put all ingredients into a large soup pan.
- Cover this with 7 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Stir occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Add the Tomato Sauce
- Bring back to a boil. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add 1/2 bag of wide egg noodles to the pan.
- Bring back to a boil. Then cook on medium, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with a little Parmesan cheese (optional).