Tonight’s $5 Dinner Challenge Meal comes from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship! She is sharing a Hearty Lentil Stew…and suggests these Whole Wheat Cornbread or Corn Muffins  as a side dish! At $1.25 for the muffins and about $2 for the lentil stew…this comes in well under $5!!!
Hearty Lentil Stew with Cornbread
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp marjoram
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Serve over brown rice or potatoes, optional
- Sauté onion, celery, garlic, green pepper in a small amount of water until softened. Add 6 cups water, barley, lentils.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, stir, cover, cook 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover, cook 30 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice or potatoes.
- Make cornbread or corn muffins .
- Serve Hearty Lentil Stew with Cornbread!
Cost – little over $3!!!
Katie is a mommy of an inquisitive 4-year-old boy and a busy 16-month-old girl. Visit her at Kitchen Stewardship , where she focuses on Baby Steps to balancing nutrition, the environment, time, and money through the eyes of faith. You’ll find weekly “Monday Missions ” to challenge you to make one positive change in your kitchen each week, with supporting recipes and tips to help make it happen.