When we were growing up, my Mother used to make this home-style supper for our family of 6. It was a quick and easy way for her to fill us all up. I continue to make this for my own family on occasion.
I made this just a few days ago, and to start will share my shopping list of ingredients…
Beef and Vegetable Soup over Mashed Potatoes
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 5 pounds of potatoes – $1.99 (on sale)
- 2 pounds ground burger – $1.49 per pound (on sale) = $2.98
- 2 – 10 oz cans of Campbell’s Vegetable soup – $1.49 each (regular price) = $2.98
- 1/2 stick of margarine .15 cents
- 1/2 cup of Milk .09 cents
- 1/4 loaf of white bread .32 cents.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and cut up the potatoes. Boil in water for 25 – 30 minutes. Drain, then mash. Add Milk, Butter and Salt to taste.
- Fry the burger until browned. Then add both cans of vegetable soup (no need to add water). Let this simmer, stirring every so often, for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- On each plate, put 1 -2 large scoops of potatoes, then top with the burger mixture. Serve with one or two slices of bread.
Total cost of this dinner – $8.51
This meal provided generous portions to a family of five, including 3 hungry teenagers, with enough leftovers for seconds!
Mrs. White is a wife and homemaker living in an old 1800’s Colonial house in rural Vermont. She has five home-schooled children, ages 13, 15, 17, 21 and 22. She has been happily married for almost a quarter of a century. Her blog, The Legacy of Home, is designed to encourage housewives, build strong family relationships, and inspire readers to old-time, godly living. Mrs. White can also be found on Twitter.