- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Grilled Pork Chops, Peaches and Red Onions – Friday Night Bite
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On September 23, 2011 @ 5:00 pm In Grill,Pork,Recipes | 8 Comments
A little over 3 years ago my life changed for the better.
I was doing the dishes after having a meal similar to this one. And just like you’d see on a “ticker” on ESPN or FoxNews, the phrase “$5 Dinners” passed through my brain. Then it passed through again. And again.
And it wasn’t long before I was sitting at the computer to see if this concept had been launched in internet-land yet.
It was just before the word “recession” made its way into mainstream media. But it was while we were in our own little “personal recession,” if you will. My husband was working his “main job,” along with a pizza delivery
There are 2 things that I remember about the meal that we had on that fateful August night…it was pork chops that I’d bought on Manager’s Special, along with peaches that were also on sale…and probably some homemade rolls. And the total of the meal being $3.85.
I remember sharing that number with my husband, as if it were yesterday. And I remember the look on his face like…wow, that’s pretty cool that it’s so inexpensive…but a little creepy that my wife remembers how much all of it cost.
(I think he’s pretty grateful for my strange ability to remember prices on food, how much I paid for specific items after coupons, and how to total meal costs while wheeling the cart through the grocery store!)
We’ve had a similar pork chops with peach salsa since then. And now we can add the “grilled” version to the every growing list of meals that can be made for less than 5 bucks.
Here’s how it went down the other night…
Run the knife around the peach…starting at the top by the stem…
…running all the way back to where you started the cut.
And pull the two halves apart.
Scoop out the seed with a spoon.
They are ready to be grill-ified!
Perfectly tender and smoky pork chops with melt in your mouth grilled peaches and a slightly crunchy bite from the red onions…
Grilled Pork Chops, Peaches and Red Onions
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 4 small pork chops ($2.25)
- Garlic powder, sprinkles ($.01)
- Onion powder, sprinkles ($.01)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large peaches, halved and seeded ($1.50) From our peach picking trip 
- 1 medium to large red onion, cut into circle bunches ($.89)
- Side of homemade rolls or store bought rolls/bread loaf ($.75)
- Season the pork chops with garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. Grill the pork chops for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle. Grilling time will vary depending on heat of the grill and thickness of the chop.
- Halve the peaches and lay them flesh side down on the grill…ideally over indirect heat . Lay the red onion circles slices over indirect heat as well. Grill each for 6 to 8 minutes, flipping the red onions once.
- Prepare homemade or store bought bread.
- Serve Grilled Pork Chops, Peaches and Red Onions with a side of bread.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/grilled-pork-chops-peaches-and-red-onions-%e2%80%93-friday-night-bite/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 peach picking trip: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/09/peach-and-apple-picking-a-labor-day-weekend-adventure.html
 indirect heat: http://scjohnson.com/en/family/family-economics/food-for-thought/11-06-07/Grilling-101.aspx
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.