So we’ve turned up the A/C downstairs to help keep the utility bill as low as possible, and I’ve already found myself not using the oven much anymore! That means the majority of our dinners are being cooked outside. (And those that aren’t grilled are “no-cook” dinners, as in the case of last night, when I served fruit and cereal because Steve was out of town!) I always say that “every penny counts” when referring to the grocery budget, and I now I’m adding “every degree counts” when referring to the stifling summer heat here in TX.
I really enjoyed the sweet and tangy flavors of this sandwich. I marinated the chicken breasts in BBQ sauce before grilling them, and I added a little extra BBQ sauce to my sandwich. My husband asked for his with honey mustard (pictured above), and he really enjoyed it with the sweeter flavors. Either way, you won’t go wrong. You could also add cheese immediately after pulling the chicken and pineapple off the grill, so that it melts nicely on the sandwich.
We enjoyed these outside, under the shaded part of our back deck the other night. It was a tasty and delicious way to end the day!
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
Adapted from All Recipes 
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes plus marinade time
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 2 large chicken breasts, pounded lightly
- BBQ sauce for marinade, about 1/2 cup (coupon here )
- 1 can pineapple slices (coupon here )
- 4 whole wheat buns
- BBQ, ketchup. honey mustard for sandwich
- Side of fresh fruit or veggies and/or chips (That’s what we had!)
- Pound out the chicken breasts slightly, so that you can cut them in half to make 4 sandwiches. Marinate in the BBQ for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- Grill the chicken breasts for at least 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in the middle. Cooking time may vary depending on thickness.
- Drain the juice from the pineapple and then grill the slices over direct heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Just long enough to soften them up and get some smoky grill marks!
- Assemble sandwiches, add sauce and serve with fresh fruit, veggies and/or chips.