This recipe is exactly why I love what I do…I get to try all kinds of new things…the other night, it was Grilled Doughnuts. Used as the “shortcake” in strawberry shortcake. I shared with some friends that I was grilling doughnuts, and the response was “SHUT UP. That is not right.” (I think she was a little jealous!)
I don’t make dessert all that often. When I do, it’s usually some kind of cookie because I’ve got several different recipes memorized, making it super quick and easy to whip up a batch or two, or four. Well move on over cookies, because there’s a new memorized dessert recipe in town…
It only has 4 ingredients…and the cooking process couldn’t be easier to make…and memorize!
- Doughnuts – slice and grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Strawberries – mash and pour sugar over the top and let sit for a few minutes.
- Assemble. Devour.
See. Easy to make, easy to memorize. You’re welcome 😉
I used glazed doughnuts and I was a little worried that the glaze would melt off while they were on the grill, but turns out that it did melt a little, but ended up caramelizing around the edges. This “shortcake” had a perfect slight crunch on the doughnut, combined with a just sweet enough strawberry “sauce”…rounded out with the creamy whipped topping. Amazing way to end a summer night’s dinner!
Grilled Doughnuts Strawberry Shortcake
Adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine 
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 2-3 minutes on the grill
- 4 glazed donuts, sliced horizontally
- 10-12 large strawberries, mashed with a fork
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Dollops of whipped cream, or scoop of ice cream.
- In a small mixing bowl, mash the strawberries with a fork, allowing some of the juices to seep out. Sprinkle the sugar over the top and let sit for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- While the strawberries rest, grill the doughnuts. Place the sliced doughnuts, inside part down over the flame on the grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately with the strawberry “sauce,” and whipped cream or ice cream.