- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Green Tomato Beef Roast – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On July 20, 2009 @ 5:40 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Beef,Dairy Free,Garden,Gluten Free,Recipes,Slow Cooker | 8 Comments
I intended to make a beef roast with diced tomatoes in the slow cooker today. But had a little change in plans…I found a green tomato on the ground when sweeping through the garden last night. My first thought was to fry it up, but I wanted to do something different. I thought adding it in with the roast would bring a different flavor to the typical beef roast!
I thought the roast with the green tomatoes was delightful! The slow cooked green tomatoes gave the beefy a perfect tangy flavor…very unique!
So if you’ve got tomatoes growing in your garden, just take 1 large green one, slice it up and cook with a beef roast! You won’t be disappointed! I was pleasantly surprised by how well this little “food experiment” turned out!
(And I did strain and save the juices to use for beef stock!)
1.6 lb. beef roast ($2.52) Bought this past trip on Manager’s Special
Salt and cracked pepper
1 green tomato, sliced (free from the garden)
6-8 basil leaves (free from the garden)
3-4 sprigs of fresh parsley (free from the garden)
1 yellow squash (free from the garden)
Bunch of green beans (free from the garden)
Several slices of sourdough bread ($.35) Bought with $.69 manager’s special stickers, Omit if GF
Butter and garlic salt (or jelly) ($.25)
**Serve brown rice instead of bread for a gluten free meal!
1. Add beef roast to slow cooker with 1/2 cup of water. Sprinkle with roast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay green tomato slices on top of the beef roast. Add basil leaves and parsley over the tomatoes. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours. **Don’t want to heat up the kitchen. Put the slow cooker outside on the porch!
2. Wash and slice squash into circles. Steam for 4-5 minutes in steamer or microwavable bowl covered with plastic.
3. Wash and cut off stems from green beans. Steam for 4-5 minutes in steamer or microwavable bowl covered with plastic.
4. Butter slices of sourdough bread and sprinkle with garlic salt. (I’ve been craving garlic bread lately!) I really think these would be better with jelly…but garlic bread sounded better to me tonight!
5. Serve Green Tomato Beef Roast with Steamed Squash, Steamed Green Beans and Bread.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/green-tomato-beef-roast/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.