- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Green Pepper Chili – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On September 6, 2010 @ 5:02 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Beef,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Pantry Staples,Recipes | 8 Comments
Take your basic chili…and add 2 green peppers. Diced, of course!
(I made this on the Dayton Fox News morning show this week! So if you’ve been looking for the recipe, here it is!)
Remember those crazy wicked cheap green peppers  I scored!?! That’s what inspired the green pepper addition. I think I’ll be adding green peppers to everything from now until Thanksgiving!
Loved the flavor the green peppers added to this chili.
About 3/4 lb. ground beef ($1.12)
1/2 red onion, diced ($.50)
2 green peppers, diced ($.66)
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ($.16)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste ($.19)
2 cups cooked black beans ($.40)
2 cups cooked red beans ($.40)
2 garlic cloves, crushed ($.10)
1 Tbsp chili powder ($.10)
Salt and pepper to taste
Tabasco or hot sauce, optional
1/2 cantaloupe ($.67)
*Substitute 1 can black beans and 1 can red beans to save on time!
1. Brown the ground beef. Drain and return to saucepan.
2. Add diced red onion (or yellow, or white), diced green peppers, diced tomatoes (undrained), tomato paste (plus 1-2 cans worth of water), black beans, red beans, garlic cloves, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Add some Tabasco or hot sauce if you need a lil kick.
3. Bring to bubbling, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If you simmer longer, cover it so you don’t lose too much moisture. Ladle into bowls and serve warm.
4. Cut cantaloupe into wedges or bite size pieces. I love the sweet, coolness of cantaloupe paired with a thick, hearty chili.
5. Serve Green Pepper Chili with Cantaloupe.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/green-pepper-chili-5-dinner-challenge/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 crazy wicked cheap green peppers: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/07/cut-green-pepper.html
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.