We love Greek food. I don’t make it nearly as often as I’d like because it usually takes a little more effort than time allots for a regular dinner. Not to mention I usually don’t have a couple of the ingredients in the pantry. This recipe however, is much faster than a normal meal and great to make when you’re herding children on those busy summer evenings. I like that it’s light and healthy yet really filling. One serving is half of a gyro, the only one who can eat more than that around here is my husband. I like to think that’s attributed to my awesome cooking vs just a man sized appetite.
Feta cheese is a little more pricey than I like to spend, but it works nicely with this recipe because all of the other ingredients are pretty basic. But always thrifty, I try to grab some on sale or with a coupon.
With this dinner I paired the gyro with some raw sugar snap peas, and a cookie. No utensils required, which would make it great for picnics too!
Yield – 10 servings
Preparation Time - 25 minutes
Cooking Time - 0 minutes
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups salad greens
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, feta, onion, and lemon juice for the dressing.
- For each wrap, heat a tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds covered with a damp paper towel. Spread the dressing on the tortilla to within an inch of the edge.
- Layer 1/2 cup of chicken, several tomato slices, and 1/2 cup of salad greens over the dressing. Fold the sides of the tortilla toward the center, bring up the bottom to cover the filling, and roll it snugly.
- Hold firmly and cut in half.