20 Gluten Free Slow Cooker Freezer Packs From Costco For $150. Each Meal Feeds 4 People And Costs Less Than One Family Member’s Meal Out!

by Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom on August 11, 2014

Have you ever wished you could make enough crockpot dinners to last for weeks, so you can just let it cook, while you enjoy your time with your family each night? Let me introduce you to the…

20-Slow-Cooker-Freezer-Packs-from-Costco-for-cut-2014

What better way to help you survive and thrive the busyness than with a 20 Meals from Costco for $150 plan that is made up of all “Gluten Free Slow Cooker Freezer Packs” where you can assemble EVERYTHING in less than 2 hours!!! I actually videoed the entire assembly process for you…

• To prove that it takes less than 2 hours to prepare 20 meals. The videos are 1 hour and 50 minutes long…and there is several minutes of me mumbling. And maybe doing a happy dance at the end :)
  • So that you can follow along as you assemble your bags! I didn’t want you to feel alone in your slow cooker freezer pack assembly efforts…I’ll be right there with you in the kitchen!
  • Exclusive access to the assembly video instructions is available in package #1, details below.

As Seen on NBC’s Today Show

Bringing $5 Dinners to the world has been so much fun and one of the highlights was being on the Today Show. I appreciate all the well wishes. The best part has been the reaction from people who have told me how much time and money I helped save them. It’s why I continue to work hard to bring you great recipes at a great price.

today-show-erin-chase-3-600

Before we move on to what’s in the meal plan, here is a link to the 20 Meals from Costco for $150 Plan’s FAQ & ‘Disclaimers’ page. If you’re new to these plans, you definitely want to check it out! I’m often asked about my slow cooker…I use the 6-quart E-lume from Crockpot! Here are the Wine Pairings for these meals! OH…and BTW…this plan is also GLUTEN FREE! :) Let’s get to it, shall we?!?

Slow Cooker Freezer Pack Costco Plan - 20 Meals for $150 in Less Than 2 Hours | 5DollarDinners.com

Recipe List

Each pack in this plan is DOUBLED. So these 10 meals make 20 packs total! Each pack serves a family of 4. Larger families or families with bottomless pits (also known as teenage boys!) can double or use 2 packs for 1 meal!

pin these recipes button

Costco Ingredients & Price List

Meats

1 6 pack boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 6 lbs. (12 total breasts) – $20.99
1 6 pack boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 6 lbs. – $21.31

Frozen corn – $3 worth
6 boxes of broth – $5 worth
about 4-5 lbs. potatoes – $2.67 worth
2 onions – $1.50 worth
= $19.56

Estimated Cost After Leftovers $142.40

(with a few dollars left to get the coconut milk & rosemary from the grocery store!) You will also need 20 Gallon Size Freezer baggies, or other plastic containers or baggies. Subscribe to our free weekly recipes email newsletter so you don’t miss any exciting new plans and recipes! UDPATE: A kind reader pointed out that there is a need for 9 diced tomato cans and that Costco sells an 8-pack. My sincerest apologies in that discrepancy! I videoed &  assembled all of the bags with the intention of ensuring that this wouldn’t happen and somehow between my paper list and the computer list, 1 can was lost in translation! We have updated the printables. If you don’t have another on one hand, you could use half a can into each bag for one of the other recipes that calls for the tomatoes. Thanks for being gracious about this extra can of tomatoes!

Meals that slow down your busy life

Make it simple…with 1 of these 2 packages!

Let us make the experience of preparing these meals simpler and easier. There are 2 packages to choose from…

Package #1

One of the most challenging parts to pulling together a large number of meals like this at once is knowing what to do first, next, then and last. When you do things ‘out of order,’ it really can mess up the assembly process and cause you to waste a.lot of time in the kitchen. I’ve created several new printables and instructional videos that will actually make the assembly as smooth and quick as possible for you. Seriously, I might have done a celebratory dance when I finished the assembly…and you will want to as well! Costco Meal Plan Freezer Packs Printable Pack #1 | 5DollarDinners.com This package includes…

• Printable Assembly Instructions – step by step guide to pulling all these meals together and into the freezer
  • Printable Assembly Cards – so you don’t forget any ingredients in each bag
  • Printable Labels – you can print these out onto Avery #6874 label paper and stick them to your plastic baggies or containers.
  • Exclusive Access to the 3 Instructional Assembly Videos
  • Recipe List & Grocery List included as well!

All of these goodies are available to you for just 5 bucks! (You don’t need to buy package #2 if you buy package #1, as it already includes the recipes and shopping list!)

Just want the recipe list & grocery shopping list?! We have that available as well! This printable that contains all the recipes with ingredient breakdown, as well as a complete grocery shopping list (with south TX Costco prices). This printable is available for $2.49!

You can find all of the other Costco Meal Plans in the series, the Sam’s Club plans and my e-cookbooks in the $5 Dinners Store page. Once you’ve chosen all the plan you need, you can checkout!

If you have issues with the download, PLEASE EMAIL ME! I’ll be able to help you out!

Interested in a weekly meal planning service that takes all the headache and stress off your shoulders?! Sign up for a FREE 4-Week Trial at 5DollarMealPlan.com!

Leah August 11, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Hi, my hubby thinks this is a great idea and it sounds like it, but could you direct me to meal plans that are plant based? We eat a 90% vegan diet. (and I cook pretty elaborate meals) so my hubby is hoping I will streamline some things this fall due to our busy schedule. Thanks!

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom August 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Hey Leah,

I don’t have a vegetarian or vegan version of these plans…yet! :)

Erin

lisa August 12, 2014 at 12:33 am

Here’s another vote for a veg*n version of these plans. I’d love to see that!!!

Helen August 12, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I’m a vegetarian/vegan and would love to have a version of these plans to suit my plant based lifestyle. :)
Helen

RJ August 13, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Add another vote!!

Tammy August 13, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I would also love a vegetarian plan. We do both, so I will be getting these now and looking forward to the vegetarian ones as well. Thank you!

Chelsea August 13, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I, too, would buy this in a heartbeat – even if it meant 4 servings of 5 vegetarian dishes. It seems like none of the meal preparation services cater to the vegetarian community. We are definitely out there!

dawna August 12, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I agree, waiting for the Veg meals.

Michelle August 13, 2014 at 2:05 am

I too would love to see a vegetarian version of this. It would make my life so much easier since I go to university and am in my 40’s!

Alice Klobukowski August 13, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Me too. Need version that could be vegetarian or better would be pescatarian (fish, seafood, dairy and eggs).

Diana August 13, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I will toss in my vote for a vegetarian option, if you ever develop one! I would definitely jump on board at that point. So please keep me in mind.

Nicole August 14, 2014 at 9:56 am

Happy Herbivore has fantastic meal plans. Not freezer plans but simple delicious plant based meals that can be made quickly.

Savannah August 11, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I’m wondering how many this feeds? We are a family of 6.

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom August 11, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Hey Savannah!

It could be that you’ll need to add the leftover potatoes to the potatoes meals to make those a little bigger, or you might need to make 2 packs at once…depends on the ages of your kids! We have 6 as well and we can usually get by with a pack along with a small loaf of bread, or some brown rice cooked on the side.

Hope that helps!

Erin

sherralynn arnold August 11, 2014 at 7:02 pm

We also eat more of a plant based diet. Also, wondering if you have actually prepared and eaten these recipes exactly this way. I have wasted hundreds of dollars and countless hours with deals like this where the meals are gross.

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom August 11, 2014 at 7:18 pm

We eat them all the time! :)

Erin

Julie August 11, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Hi Erin, I am looking forward to a plant based Gf version- and working on it myself! ;)

Janet August 11, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I can’t eat corn! Do you have any acceptable substitutes for your recipes? I’d love to try them but see from your pic that a few bags have corn.

dona navarro August 11, 2014 at 10:20 pm

You rock! Thank you for making meal planning so easy!!!!

M Moore August 11, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I just paid for package #1 and it won’t download. Can you email me please.

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom August 12, 2014 at 10:32 am

Hey there! Please email me at 5dollardinners at gmail dot com, so I can get you your file!

Erin

Terri Hinton August 12, 2014 at 12:22 am

I am excited to try these recipes because it will make life so much easier.

Karens fritz August 12, 2014 at 12:46 am

Will you ship to Australia?

Jenn K August 18, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Karens, We don’t ship any food or meal plans. We just provide the recipes and ideas for you to make your own. :)

charlene August 12, 2014 at 1:44 am

Hello! We have a family member allergic to coconut milk. Can you think of a good substitute?

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom August 12, 2014 at 10:34 am

You could whisk some curry powder in with a cup of broth and then pour into the bag/slow cooker. Coconut milk has such a powerful flavor, but I think you could pull this curry off without it!

corina August 12, 2014 at 8:01 am

It downloaded but no file opens. ..

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom August 12, 2014 at 10:32 am

Can you email me at 5dollardinners at gmail dot com and I’ll help you out!

Erin

Kelly August 12, 2014 at 9:44 am

This would be wonderful if you did this for vegans!

Anna August 12, 2014 at 10:30 am

Package #1 won’t download for me either. Can you help? Thanks!

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom August 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

Please email me at 5dollardinners at gmail dot com!

Erin

Sandra August 12, 2014 at 11:12 am

With the freezer meals, do you need to thaw in advance or do you put the meal into the slow cooker frozen? If you thaw, how long does it take to thaw?

Jenn K August 13, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Each recipe has the complete directions on them (on the printables you can purchase and on the recipe links themselves) for further clarification.

roxanne August 12, 2014 at 11:59 am

I would also be interested in a plant based version!

Heather August 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm

What about weight loss plans too?

Roberta August 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I am a little confused at what to order. You have so many buttons and when you click them they show up with different titles. I thought the whole batch of recipes was GF, but it looks like there is a special button for GF? And then there are buttons after the explanation of each plan…how is that different from the buttons at the bottom?

Deeauna Schyt August 12, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I agree with Roberta, I guess I was confused on all the buttons as well. I clicked on package 1 thinking that was what I needed then after paying the $5 figured out that there was also a Gluten free button that cost an additional $1.49, so I bought that as well. Now I am kind of confused:-/

Jenn K August 13, 2014 at 1:21 pm

All of the recipes on this post are gluten free, Deeauna. The two different printable packs offer different information, but they both come with the complete Costco (and pantry/grocery store) shopping list and all 10 full recipes.

Deeauna Schut August 12, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I accidentally misspelled my last name on above comment in case you needed to look into my account info!

tawny August 12, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Do not see salt or sugar content? I have to eat a very low salt diet.
Thanks.

Tess August 14, 2014 at 12:47 pm

You choose your salt content. So, leave it out completely or add as much as you want to each meal. The only ingredients that are going to add salt is the broth, tomatoes, and sausage (that I can think of).

Karen August 12, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Was wondering how much space is needed to store all 20 packs, it’s a bit hard estimate. Thanks!

jen August 12, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Do you have to freeze first? And do the pork chops and sweet potatoes not need liquid to cook?

mo August 12, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I could make 20 PB&J’s in about 20 minutes!! What!!

nancy August 13, 2014 at 12:12 am

If you’re really concerned about my budget – which is horrendously minimal living solely off a disability check – why would you charge me a fee for your recipes? :-(

RejoicedOver August 13, 2014 at 12:39 pm

We are a family of 7 living off of one income, so I can in a sense relate a bit. However, I wanted to mention, in case you hadn’t noticed, that the recipe list, shopping list (both included on this post) and recipes are all available for Free right here (just click the recipe name in red to take you to the actual recipe). It just takes a little more time to hand write (or print) the list and recipes. I know for me, I’d love to have it all together in one printout (and the small fee here is not too much for all the time and energy put into creating this list, recipes, cost breakdowns and posts), but sometimes I have more time than I have money, so I just pull up each one and note it down on paper. Hope that helps.

Jenn K August 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Nancy, all of the recipes are available on the site free of charge. Just click the links for each recipe title to access. Thanks!

Monica August 13, 2014 at 1:48 am

Like Leah, we are mostly vegan (we still eat fish, but no eggs, no dairy, etc.) and we’d love a vegan version of these plans. Even something with “cheese optional”, or dairy substitutes, because we do use a few of those. So if you ever get that going, please let me know! :-)

Sarah August 13, 2014 at 8:23 am

My son is allergic to tomatoes; anything with any tomatoes including barbecue sauce. It is very hard to cook for a family of four with one having a tomato allergy and he loves tomatoes, so it is even harder to substitute just for him because he knows what he is missing. I noticed a lot of the recipes have a form of tomato. Do you have any substitution ideas for tomatoes? Before I buy the slow cook gluten free (which I love the idea of) how many of the recipes require them??

Leah Courtney August 13, 2014 at 9:51 am

Thank you! We aren’t Costco members, but just the recipes and shopping lists are amazing. It’s football season with two of our kids involved, and it’s been impossible for me to think of a way to cook supper. This works great. :-)

Anatolia August 13, 2014 at 10:56 am

Erin,

This is my first time to your site, and I’m SO excited! Gluten Free! Crock-Pot freezer meals! Shopping at Costco! All of the arduous hours of recipe hunting, figuring out the ingredients that “overlap,” list-making, and budgeting, all DONE, for just $1.49! The download buttons were easy to see, and all the pages downloaded without a problem. I’m looking over the directions now and the recipes look delicious. I might have to come back and get the video tutorial! Thank you, thank you!

Susan August 13, 2014 at 11:33 am

Seriously, you vegan people…. If you want a vegan recipe maybe you shouldn’t be looking at a recipe site that isn’t vegan? And then complaining that it isn’t vegan and doesn’t address your various allergies and food preferences? Does she need to put a disclaimer? These recipes are for people who eat meat and don’t have allergies…. If you don’t eat meat or if you have allergies to certain things, maybe these aren’t for you. If you can’t eat, like corn, maybe you can figure out a different ingredient, like say peas, that you could replace it with all by yourself.

Justin Hildebrand August 13, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Thank you Susan! I was thinking the same thing… Especially the corn comment?!? Peas, carrots, edamame, garbanzo beans…. Are people that incapable of thinking for themselves? And I agree that it would be nice to see these recipes for vegetarian diet but as a vegetarian it would seem that you could figure out how to insert say tofu, mushrooms, eggplant, sweet potatos, beans… into your recipes for the animal proteins that are listed. And let me just say thank you for all of the folks that find some personal flaw with what you have accomplished here.

Michelle August 13, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I agree. I freak at the thought of how much time, energy, and initiative it took to create these menus only to have them torn apart. “We are vegetarians, so can you please allocate another 20 hours or so of work to tweak them to my exact specifications and save me the hassle of doing this myself?” That is basically what they’re saying. This a primer, a guide, an EXAMPLE. Substitute as you need to all by yourself. If you are on a restricted diet by allergies or choice, you’re more educated on its specifics, anyway — do your OWN work.

Li August 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm

What about factoring in the cost of the spices used in the recipes?!? All the recipes use spices, yet your total dollar count/shopping list doesn’t even include them. Kinda misleading, as they’re obviously an additional cost.

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom August 13, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Not trying to be misleading! You can read more about that here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/costco-faq/

Margie Morrissey August 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm

This is awesome – thank you so much for sharing your recipes with us .. and including the instructions for taking from freezer to put in crock pot when ready.. we are just two of us at home now, I’m going back to teaching in 2 1/2 weeks and my husband is just retired. I’m going to put these together for him to put in crock pot and I think I can likey make up the recipes and divide in half and have 40 recipes rather than 20… that’s a bonus..

Thank you so much for doing the planning for us.. and for those with allergies etc.. you know what your child can and cannot eat.. make exchanges based on that!
Bon Appetit everyone!!!

Emma August 13, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Hi there I just purchased the $5 package but it won’t download/open on my Kindle. No computer. Could you email it to me? Thank you!!

Brooke August 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing! My husband is celiac and allergic to beef. Any recommendations for substituting the beef in the stew?

Beth August 13, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I may not be the site owner, but I would think lamb would make a good sub for beef stew (though probably pricier)

Anne M Hughes August 13, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Hi Erin! This looks like a great way to do things for little to no large investment; and I thank you so much for that! That said, I’m clicking on the link for the Regular #1 plan and it comes up as $1.49 when I believe it says that it is $5.00. Also…. do I need to add the gluten free link when I buy the Regular #1 plan? Thanks! I can’t wait to get to gathering and bagging!

Sydney August 13, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I noticed that you ask for a 12 pack of chicken stock. Costco sells Better than Boullion in a jar and it makes 19 quarts of broth and lasts in the fridge for over a year. I don’t remember the price, but it’s around $10 I believe. Plus it’s gluten free. I just thought it might be a bigger bang for your buck to add to your grocery list! They usually have veggie and beef broth too. And it takes up way less room that 12 boxes!

Carolyn Hinkle August 13, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Hi Erin, I love this idea,but we are near Sam’s, not Costco. Do you know if these slow cooker meals can be replicated shopping at Sam’s?

Kim in AZ August 14, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Erin has several Sam’s Club shopping plans if you look on the right hand side of your screen. She also often will take the same list and price compare / adjust it to both warehouse stores if you give it a little time for that to happen (I think they usually are 2 weeks apart to allow time for visiting the other store). Or, you can take the list to Sam’s Club yourself and probably find almost the same ingredients with small price variations. :) We are members of both warehouses (Costco and Sam’s) and I compared one of the lists Erin had earlier and found them almost exact on pricing – just a few variations for region. Hope that helps!

Crystal August 13, 2014 at 6:27 pm

I’d love to try your GF meal plan! I was curious to see what you recommend as a substitute for corn, I cannot eat it and I would love to know what you think would work instead? Thanks so much! Also, I am new to your site…..do you come up with different GF meal plans every month with different variations? Thanks so much! I will absolutely purchase a plan once I hear back from you! Excited to get started!

Lenore August 13, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Are these heart healthy? My husband recently had a heart attack, and we also need to cut out the sodium. Would these meals be suitable for him?

Halli Sell August 13, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I just tried buying package 1 and I cant get it to go past the shopping cart… any suggestions?

Jen Larson August 13, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thank you so much for this! It looks super easy to follow and even though we aren’t Costco members, I’m sure Aldi is similar in pricing. I Will definitely keep a lookout for a vegetarian option, my BIL is GF and vegetarian and we would like to invite him over for dinner but I’m clueless when it comes to gluten and plant based diets!

Rachal August 13, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Erin,
Hey there. I know you’re getting tons of questions, but I have another for you. I am totally interested in this, but our daughter has a major corn allergy. I was wondering, do all or most of your meals have corn? I’d pay to download, it just would not make sense of we can’t use the recipes. Thank you in Arabs Wee for your time! :)

Kim in AZ August 14, 2014 at 12:58 pm

You can click on each recipe listed individually to see the details of each recipe. Then, if the lists suits your nutritional needs, you can buy the plan for the formatting and simplicity of everything on a few pages instead of separate links. You *do* have this option though to preview each recipe – just a few more clicks of your computer to open each recipe individually.

Rachal Robinson August 18, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Thank you Kim in AZ!!! :D

Jael August 13, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I’m allergic to salt, pepper, work and onions. Do you have any suggestions for me? ha ha, just kidding. People are amazing!

I am so impressed with the work you have done and the resources you are offering for free. $5 is so little to pay for so much of the time you have put into this. Everyone, take a chance and pay it! You probably spent that much on a Latte this morning!

Have a great day and thanks again!

Karen Jo Kolstee August 13, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Hi ! Love, love, love the quality work you put it to this. Purchased package #4 by paypal immediately and liked it so well that I went right back and purchased the Gluten free one as well as the Plan 1 and Plan 2. I printed out the gluten free pages but now I can’t figure out how to go back and find the plan 1 and plan 2. I then went back to paypal but it only has the receipt for payment but no way to print them out or even look at them. Please send me these by e-mail if you can as I have paid for them by paypal. Thank you so much !

Rita August 14, 2014 at 1:10 am

Can the cooking directions for each recipe be printed on Avery stickers? Do you know which one they would fit on?

Karen Jo Kolstee August 14, 2014 at 1:11 am

Oh No ! Please ignore my previous post…….Flipped over to my e-mail and there were the links for Plan1 and Plan 2. Duh here, Hope I am better in the kitchen than I am at the computer LOL. By the way have I somehow missed a Plan #3 ? Thank you again for putting the packet together. I know it will make my life easier !

Dee Costa August 14, 2014 at 3:22 am

Funny, I don’t see Erin getting twisted about the NUMEROUS requests for veggie/vegan meal plans…maybe we should let her speak for herself, hmmmmm?

Jenn August 14, 2014 at 9:49 am

Hey, just a note for those who are incensed at the many questions–

Remember that not everyone grew up in a household where overall awareness of how to cook was a simple part of life; I know a lot of people who can only cook by following a recipe to the letter, and several more who only ever “cook” prepared foods or eat out. What to some is common sense, to others is this big hairy mystery. I also have friends/family who call me with questions like “omg, do I have to peel beets before I roast them?” because they think I’m the guru on this stuff–If I don’t know the answer off the top of my head, I quietly get on google while they are explaining the ins and outs of the question, and tell them what I found, and they go, “oh, thanks, that’s great!…hmm, guess I could have tried google first, sorry to bother you…”

Internet crowd sourcing is a great way to get answers to questions, and I for one am glad people are asking the questions rather than ordering a pizza. Cooking can be so easy and frugal when you know what you’re doing, I’d love the world to ask as many “dumb” questions as it can think of, because it’s the best way to learn the overall theories that make the answers self-evident, you know? (And not everyone buys ridiculously pricey Starbucks coffee–not everyone can, and not everyone would want to even if they could.) No need to shame people for not being in the same place on the journey as you are.

And I too think plant based plans would be an awesome idea–most vegans, I think, know how to do the necessary substitutions to turn veg into vegan (and if not, well, there’s Google), but the world as a whole could use to eat a little less meat, and I know I am always looking for things to slip by my meat loving spouse that won’t have him feeling all deprived by the absence of a big hunk of animal protein on the plate.:-)

Great site, and really inspiring recipes! I’ll try some of these out as soon as we “eat down the freezer” enough to make room for them. :-) Thank you for all your work!

Amy August 15, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I just wanted to say that I love this comment. I feel bad for people that have to deal with their kids allergies and are just looking for suggestions that work in a recipe. Not all veggies taste good in all recipes. I mean I would hate grean beans in a tortilla soup and would probably sub a different type of canned beans (black, pinto or kidney) for the corn. But someone that hasn’t made recipes like this might not know that and are just trying to figure out what would taste good with the particular recipe. Or just putting out a cry for help.

Bill August 14, 2014 at 10:19 am

When are we going to see the vegan meal plans. I’m curious for that

Jocelynn De Hart August 14, 2014 at 11:32 am

Hi, i just downloaded what I thought were your gluten free recipes and unfortunately received a different meal plan is there any way you could email me the correct plan, thank you, J

Chris Middleton August 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Do you have a vegetarian menu (W/O tofu)?