For the 2014 Fiesta SA events, the delicious fun begins on April 10th and runs through April 26th. I recommend not eating for about 2 weeks before the events begin…in preparation for the tasty frenzy that’s to come. (Kidding!)
But you definitely want to have a light breakfast, like the Fiesta Breakfast Smoothie, so you’ll have plenty of room for it all later in the day.
Here are the events and foods that I’m looking forward to most this year…
- Beef on a Stick, or Anticuchos. Drooling already.
- Roasted Street Corn. Because you can’t not.
- Funnel Cakes with powdered sugar only…I’m a purist like that.
- Gorditas, there’s no point in trying to resist them. Their name says it all.
- Last, one of Maria’s Tortillas in the Haymarket at NIOSA. I don’t know what Maria does to these tortillas, but they are magical. Worth the wait in line.
See what I mean about saving room. My best advice: pace yourself. Or at least have a bottle of Pepto close by.
As for the events, here are a few that you can’t leave off your list.
1. NIOSA – you might as well plan on going at least twice…because there is no possible way to consume all the best foods in one night. No matter how many beers you have to wash it all down. And a hat tip to you if you get there are 5:30 and eat your way all the way through until 10:30. You’re my hero.
- Dates: April 22-25, 5:30 to 10:30 pm
- Complete list of foods and areas at this year’s NIOSA
2. King William Fair – Go to this one for the food trucks. All the best ones will be there. You’ll thank yourself.
- April 26, 9 am to 6 pm
- Official King William Fair website
3. Taste of the North Side – I’m partial to the north side. It’s where I live. Plus, they have a new beer garden this year. With over 55 restaurants represented (including my favorite Two Bros. BBQ & Delicious Tamales). Great, now I’m craving tamales.
- April 23rd
- Supports the Brighton Center & children with special needs all over San Antonio
What are your favorite Fiesta foods?! Where will you be feasting this Fiesta?!