Erin’s Pumpkin Pie French Toast

by Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom on October 17, 2011

Pumpkin Pie French Toast

More from $5 Dinners on Pinterest

I so wish I’d doubled this recipe while I was making it. Tripled, or quadrupled even!

These were so delicious…perfect for the fall season.

It’s really simple…you just add some pumpkin and spices to the egg-milk mixture.

Then make French toast as you would.

Le photos…

The eggs, milk, pumpkin and spices.

Whisked.

It will be thick.

Don’t fret.

They will cook just fine.

Cook in skillet or on griddle.

Greased.

Well greased.

Grease in between batches too.

The flipped side.

With the leftovers, I cut them into “french toast sticks” and froze them. They freeze beautifully and the kids got to enjoy them for lunch a few days later!

Want more great breakfast recipes from Erin?!?

The $5 Dinner Mom Breakfast and Lunch Cookbook

With the same fool proof system she used to cut your weekly food budget and put a healthy and delicious $5 meal on the dinner table for your family, she takes it one step further with “The $5 Dollar Dinner Mom Does Breakfast and Lunch”.  Erin walks you through the time and money savings of batch cooking and making your own convenience foods.

Learn more about The $5 Dinner Mom Breakfast and Lunch Cookbook, including recipe highlights and where it is sold!

Print This Post

Pumpkin Pie French Toast

Yield – 4 servings

Preparation Time – 5 minutes

Cooking Time – 15 minutes

Ingredients

• 14 slices whole wheat sandwich bread ($1.50)
  • 3 eggs ($.30)
  • 1/2 cup milk ($.05)
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin ($.75ish)
  • 1 tsp homemade pumpkin pie spice ($.05)
  • Butter and syrup for serving ($.50)
  • Fresh fruit or smoothie as side ($1)

Directions

• Set out the bread for dipping.
  • In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin and pie spice until smooth.
  • Dip each side of the bread and cook on a hot, greased griddle or skillet. Flip after 1 – 2 minutes.
  • Once all are cooked, serve with butter and maple. And a side of fresh fruit.
  • If freezing, let cool completely to reduce freezer burn.
  • Enjoy this perfect fall “breakfast for dinner”!

Cost $4.15

********

Our new Favado grocery savings app is now available! Get access to coupon matchups and store deals for all your favorite stores in your local area for free!  You’ll be able to compare prices across local stores, quickly find all the coupons that are available for the items that are on sale, build your shopping list around the hottest sales and best deals and more!

Sign up for a free Favado account and then download for free in the iTunes store for iPhone or Google Play store for Android.

See more $5 Dinners Popular Recipes here

Liz@PocketChangeGourmet October 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Thanks for hosting Erin! Enjoy your week! Looking forward to seeing you on The View!
~Liz

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom October 17, 2011 at 6:29 pm

You’re welcome Liz! I’ll “see” you Friday ;)

Erin

Alea Milham October 17, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Your pumpkin pie waffles look fantastic! I will be giving this a try soon.

Alea Milham October 17, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I meant French Toast – I have been making waffle cookies, so I am mixing up my breakfast terms.

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom October 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

LOL! I’m just intrigued by the waffle cookies…is that when you use the waffle maker to make cookies?!

YUM!

Jennifer October 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Oh, yummy! Pretty sure this will make my family very happy!

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom October 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm

:) Jennifer! I bet it will!

Sarah @ Frontier Kitchen October 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

LOVE this – my husband loves french toast and anything pumpkin so I’ll have to make this for him.

Leilani October 19, 2011 at 9:00 am

I can’t wait to try this! I’m just all out of maple syrup :( lol
How do you reheat the strips from frozen? Thanks for the recipe!!

Jodi October 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

So sorry I already had breakfast before reading this post! I will definitely try soon, along with the pumpkin cream cheese! Yum!

Jodi October 31, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Update–had the pumpkin french toast this weekend. OMG–sooo good! I had a bit of pumpkin spice creamer left from a bottle, and added that to the mixture, too. Thank you so much for this recipe–a keeper for sure!

karen November 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

lots cheaper than buying it from einstein bagels, i think. :) how about a reciepe for pumpkin bagles? :)

Julie October 23, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Made these today! They were awesome. I was hoping to freeze the extras, but there were NO extras!

LisaE October 24, 2011 at 8:03 am

My younger dd isn’t a pumpkin fan but I am planning on trying this recipe anyway this week….sounds so yummy and perfect for this time of year.

gloria flagg October 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm

after freezing the french toast or pancakes, what is the process of thawing & reheating?

Steve October 25, 2011 at 10:47 am

This was so good! I can’t wait to have this again. Great job with your site. I am so proud of you and all that you do.

Steve- aka “The Hubs”

The Tattooed Homeschooling Housewife October 26, 2011 at 11:17 am

. Thank you so much for sharing, I posted my version on my blog, with a thank you and mention of your blog. Thanks again Erin! :c)

Jamie October 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Made this for lunch today and all loved it! Definitely a keeper!! I don’t know how you did 14 pieces with only 3 eggs though. I used 9 eggs and made a total of 19 pieces and used every bit of the egg mixture. I like getting in the extra protein from the eggs! Thanks for the recipe!

karen October 27, 2011 at 1:24 am

can you modify the reciepe for less? Will it matter if you don’t use 14 pieces of bread? Its just me eating it so maybe half would be okay?

Kati November 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Thanks for another hit, Erin! I only got about half the amount of pieces of french toast though. I cut them into strips and my boys loved that.

Christina W November 22, 2011 at 1:24 am

I made this but had to change the milk to soy vanilla flavored and home made bread or a bread with no milk in it either way it was still yummyyyyyy! Thanks.

interior design December 25, 2011 at 7:39 am

I made and enjoyed

Sara M March 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Erin, How long do you think they will hold up in the freezer?

Kim March 13, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I am trying this weekend using raisin cinnamon bread instead of whole wheat, and a splash of half-and-half in with the milk. Your recipe sounds so yummy though, can’t wait to try it! I finally have a good use for the giant can of pumpkin I bought back in November. Will update after making.

Ruby September 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm

ever thought about trying this in a slow cooker?

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom September 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thought about it…haven’t tried it! A Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread Pudding would be fabulous, I’m sure!

melissa October 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm

can’t wait to try it!

Leisel October 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm

We had this for breakfast this last weekend. I substituted coconut milk for the milk, because the in-laws don’t eat/drink dairy, and it was just fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Tina November 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Made this recipe after finding it on Pinterest. It is just ok, tastes exactly as you’d expect. I would give this a 5/10 and prefer original french toast better.

Stacey November 16, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Made mine tonight, they were a disaster! Very soggy and did not cook the way they were supposed to. At first i thought i added too much pumpkin but nope, this was a complete fail…

Rhiana Wackenhuth November 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Making this tonight. It is sticking to my non-stick electric griddle :/ Also, the amount of batter it makes is only enough to cover both sides of 8 slices of bread.

Shelli December 13, 2012 at 2:41 am

These were so yummy! All three of my kids are not pumpkin fans, but I made these anyway and didn’t tell them what was in them because I thought they sounded so good. They loved them, thank you!

Brenda Gateley Maxwell February 25, 2013 at 2:17 am

When I have company I arrange my French Toast in a 9×13 baking dish and it is just as Delicious and I guess you can also call it a bread pudding. Saves a lot of time when you have company.

Helena August 18, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Hi,

Can you please tell me, how to adjust the ingredients for just 7 slices of bread????????

Thank you.

Marianna September 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Great recipe! Made these this morning for my boyfriend and he loved them! Very simple to make and so delicious! Thank you!

Lee Ann September 18, 2013 at 7:57 am

These look great! Thank you very much! :)
_________
Lee Ann H.
My blog Crochet…Gotta Love It!

Cindy W. September 25, 2013 at 6:15 pm

We made these for dinner tonight. They were good. A decent french toast. I wouldn’t say “great!” because they didn’t taste super pumpkin-y. If I didn’t know there was pumpkin in it, I would not be able to identify it. Like others have said, we didn’t get 14 slices of bread out of that small amount of egg and milk. I had to mix up more. Also, after cooking for 1-2 minutes per side, they were still completely soggy. I had to cook them way longer than that! Not a terrible recipe, actually a great starting point! I would made these again, but put my own tweaks on it next time.

Mama Owl September 26, 2013 at 9:43 am

I have to agree with others. These were good, but not “fantastic”. They smelled soooo good while they were cooking, but a let down when we tasted them. I also could not get 14 slices of bread out of the recipe… and part of the slices were “very thin” bread… I got 7 regular and 4 very thin… so, yeah, more like 9. I do like the idea of trying it in the crockpot… adding some sweetener and layering it to make a kind of “bread pudding”. Not a total wash, but definitely needs some “tweaking”.

Dayle September 29, 2013 at 3:18 pm

These were good and I could definitely taste the pumpkin (yum), but I would recommend putting some sugar in the batter. If you are using syrup then you may not need/want it, but my family is not huge fans of syrup and w/out it, there is no sweetness to the toast.

structural alterations bedfordshire November 13, 2013 at 3:31 am

What’s up colleagues, nice piece of writing and pleasant arguments commented at this place, I am truly enjoying by these.

Anastasia December 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I made these last night for dinner, because breakfast for dinner is always awesome! They were very delicious. I think that the people that got soggy french toast and only got 7 slices do not know how to make french toast. You get it in and out of the batter and onto the pan as quickly as possible. I got 12 slices from this recipe. I really was so delicious and such a great way to sneak in a veggie for breakfast! I did use pumpkin pie mix that already has spices and some sweetener it it.