When I saw this recipe from Steph at A Year of Slow Cooking last week, I just had to make it…seeing that zucchini and squash have been on such great sales lately, this seemed like the perfect to incorporate this last week of summer! And what makes it even more perfect…this morning I woke up and it was a cold 46 degrees outside. Hello, it’s still August! The high was just 71…a lovely fall like day, making soup in August seem just right!
I made a few minor substitutions…I didn’t use the cherry tomatoes because I don’t have enough ripe ones at the moment for tonight’s and tomorrow night’s meal, so I used a can of diced tomatoes instead. I also added in some fresh basil, parsley and rosemary from the garden. And, I only used 1 large yellow squash and 2 medium zucchinis.
The end result: Taste Bud Party! We all loved this…boys included!
End of Summer Harvest Soup
Adapted from: Steph at A Year of Slow Cooking 
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth (free)  Use vegetable stock is vegetarian!
- 1 cup water
- 1 small red onion, diced ($.30)
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced ($1.24) Both squash on sale for $.77/lb last week!
- 1 large yellow summer squash, sliced ($1.01)
- 1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes ($.59)
- Handful of fresh basil, parsley, and rosemary (from the garden)
- 1/3 cup dry white Cannellini beans ($.10)
- 1/2 cup pasta ($.25) Add 20 minutes before serving…and use rice pasta if gluten free!
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp parmesan cheese per bowl ($.30) Omit if dairy free!
- Green beans (from the garden)
- 6-8 homemade wheat rolls ($.50) This recipe made 14 rolls, so I’ll save the rest for another meal this week…or eat them for lunch! I’m sorry I don’t have a recipe posted on the site…but I made rolls similar to these , using water instead of milk.
- Put all ingredients up to the Cannellini beans into the slow cooker and give them a stir. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours. 20 minutes before the cooking time is finished, add the 1/2 cup dry pasta. (I totally wasn’t paying attention to the clock and the slow cooker had already finished as was on the “warm cycle.” I just added the pasta and about 20-30 minutes later, they were perfectly done!)
- Wash and cut stems from green beans. Steam in stovetop steamer or in microwave for 3-4 minutes.
- Make homemade wheat rolls in the bread machine. I made the dough in the bread machine and then made rolls and baked them in the oven.
- Serve End of Summer Harvest Soup with Green Beans and Homemade Wheat Rolls.