Back in January, I spent a lot of time traveling promoting my 2nd cookbook. I often stopped for meals at Subway…and during one of those stops, I was looking over the menu in hopes of finding a new sandwich to try. The BLT caught my eye and then it got me thinking about what else would work with a BLT.
Tuna salad would work…especially with some melted Swiss on top.
What about egg salad?! I wonder if that would work…
It does! This is a perfect sandwich for this summer…and I can’t wait to try it with perfectly ripened, warm tomatoes…straight from the garden.
I really enjoyed the sweet-salty combination of the egg salad and bacon.
Egg Salad Tips and Tricks
1. Use your pastry blender to cut the eggs when making egg salad. It’s a no fuss way to get the perfect amount of egg “chunkiness” in your salad.
2. Use Sandwich Spread. I’m surprised when I find out that friends don’t know about this secret ingredient. It’s found amongst the mayo in the grocery store and I use it with mustard on sandwiches…I use it to make tuna salad…and I use it to make egg salad. It has a delicious tangy, yet sweet, flavor that is perfect for tuna and egg salads.
Egg Salad-BLT Sandwich
- 8 eggs, hardboiled ($.80)
- about 1/2 cup sandwich spread ($.50)
- 12 slices turkey bacon, cooked ($.50) Used some from $.99 package in the freezer
- 1 large tomato, sliced ($.89)
- Couple leaves of iceberg lettuce, or other favorite variety ($.10)
- 2 loaves sweet French bread ($1.19) Manager’s Special, sliced sandwich bread will work too 🙂
- Cantaloupe, or other fresh fruit as side dish ($.75)
- In a small mixing bowl, cut up the hardboiled eggs with a pastry blender or knife and fork. Stir in the sandwich spread. Cook the bacon as directed on package.
- Slice the bread and assembly the sandwich with the egg salad, bacon, lettuce and tomato slices. In whatever order suits your fancy.
- Enjoy Egg Salad-BLT Sandwiches with a side of fresh fruit.