- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Dominican Rice and Beans – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 5, 2009 @ 5:58 pm In Beans,GFCFSF,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice | 15 Comments
Traditional Sides: Salad with avocado slices, fried chicken, tostones (twice fried plantains), potato salad, macaroni salad, cabbage slaw salad
1. Rinse beans in colander. Soak beans overnight in lukewarm or for at least 2 hours in HOT water. Drain beans. Replace beans in pot (the pot you see in the pictures is from the DR!) and cover with at least 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly (I set mine to 8 on my burner) and let boil/simmer for 1.5 hours, or until soft. You will add seasonings as they are cooking (see #4!) Keep an eye on the water level, and add water more if necessary.
2. In saucepan or medium pot, add 2-3 Tbsp oil. Turn on heat. When oil starts to bubble, add rice. Stir rice through to cover it all with oil. Stir rice continuously for approximately one minute. Some rice kernals will turn color and brown slightly. This is your cue. Add 2.5-3 cups HOT water and stir. Once it returns to a boil reduce heat (6-7 on my stove) and cook for 20 minutes. If all the water has not boiled off, cook a little longer.
4. Thinly slice and dice green pepper and onion. After beans have been cooking for about an hour, add tomato paste, diced green pepper and onion. Add seasoning and cilantro sprig (you can remove it later if you like). Let the beans finish boiling (another 30 minutes), giving the flavors time to mix and mingle!
5. Scoop rice onto plate and ladle beans with lots of juice over the rice. Serve with favorite side of vegetables.
MANY of you sent me soup recipes for my missing soup during “Soup Week”! Thank you so much! I’m thinking another soup week will be in order in Febraury! If you left a link in the comments from your blog with your favorite meal, be sure to link it up tonight’s $5 Dinner Challenge !!!
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/dominican-rice-and-beans-5-dinner-challenge/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 $5 Dinner Challenge: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.