One of my favorite tools in the kitchen is my slow cooker . There is no better feeling after a long day to coming home to dinner almost done! Using my crock pot on busy days helps eliminate any temptation to eat out as well. And eating at home is generally great for your budget!
This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos is a tried and true favorite at our house! It only uses 4 ingredients (plus toppings). This recipe is a great source of lean protein, calcium and vitamin C. You can also use whole grain tortillas for added fiber. Give the recipe a try and enjoy your dinner being hot and ready at 5pm!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Yield – 4 servings + leftovers
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – Low for 8-10 hours
- 1# boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 16 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons of Homemade Taco Seasoning  (or 1 packet of taco seasoning mix)
- Mix the salsa, tomato sauce and spices.
- Place chicken in slow cooker and cover with tomato sauce mixture.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred with fork. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Ideas to serve with: shredded lettuce, salsa, avocado, plain greek yogurt or sour cream, shredded cheese, tortillas and any other favorite toppings.