- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Curried Chicken with Acorn Squash
Posted By Alea On November 13, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In chicken,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice | No Comments
My daughter loves curry, so much so that I decided to use it to get her to eat one of her least favorite foods: squash. When she saw the roasted acorn squash, she thought I was going to use the curried chicken and rice to create a curried version of Stuffed Acorn Squash. And I was tempted to, but I noticed that when I made Stuffed Acorn Squash , one individual left a good portion of her squash uneaten.
She was very disappointed when I told her I was going to cut up the squash and add it to the curried chicken. She said, “But it is so much easier to avoid squash when you are using it for a bowl”. Exactly! Bwahahah
Though my daughter was not happy with my inclusion of acorn squash in the curry, she said that the curry sauce made the squash edible. What more can a mother ask for when dealing with a much disliked vegetable? The rest of the family loved it.
The easiest way to cut acorn squash is to roast it first. After it is cooked, cut it in the skin, then use a knife to pull the skin away, and you are left with bite size pieces of squash.
Curried Chicken with Acorn Squash
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced (I used red onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced sweet pepper (I used red pepper)
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth (How to Make Chicken Broth )
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush with oil and place cut side down on a cookie sheet.
- Bake the squash for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add the rice and water to a medium sauce pan. Cook over a medium-high flame until the water begins to boil. Lower flame, place lid on pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the squash and rice are cooking, saute the onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the chicken, broth, and spices to the onion mixture and cook over a medium flame until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 8 – 10 minutes.
- Cut the cooked squash into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the squash and yogurt to the chicken. Cook while stirring, until the yogurt is heated through.
- Serve the curried chicken and acorn squash over the rice.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/curried-chicken-with-acorn-squash/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 Stuffed Acorn Squash: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/stuffed-acorn-squash/
 How to Make Chicken Broth: http://www.5dollardinners.com/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken-in-the-slow-cooker/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.