- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Grilled Chicken with Cucumber-Pineapple Salsa – Grow. Eat. $ave.
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On August 10, 2011 @ 5:10 pm In Garden,Grow. Eat. Save.,Homemade,Recipes | 6 Comments
Up next on the Grow. Eat. $ave. calendar for this year is cucumbers. I’ve had more cucumbers in my kitchen in the last 2 weeks than I know what to do with…both from my garden, and from a friend’s garden. I’ve been enjoying them on salads, as well as soaked in balsamic vinegar with some kosher salt and pepper (nom, nom, nom!).
And last night I tried this cucumber pineapple salsa. To mix things up a bit!
Think….burst of sweet and sour citrus flavors…as the cucumber takes on a little lime flavor and the pineapple adds the perfect sweet balance…plus a little kick and heat from the jalapeno. A fabulously tasteful and simple dinner!
Perfect atop grilled chicken, and also tasted great on the salad too!!!
Cucumber Pineapple Salsa
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes grill time
- 1 large cucumber, about 2 cups (free from friend’s garden )
- 1/2 pineapple, diced ($1.50) Half of $2.99 pineapple
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (free from my garden)
- 3 sprigs cilantro, (free from my garden)
- 1/4 cup lime juice ($.25)
- Salt and pepper
- Served with…
- Grilled chicken ($2.50)
- Side salad (free from Kroger this week )
- Dressing ($.20)
- Dice the cucumber. Dice the fresh pineapple . Finely chop the jalapeno. (And wash hands well. And don’t touch your eyes. or lip. or pick your nose! *burn*) Run your knife through the cilantro.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the cucumber, pineapple, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and some salt and pepper.
- The salsa can be made ahead and refrigerated up to a day in advance.
- Grill the chicken until cooked through. Spread the cucumber-pineapple salsa over the top.
- Serve Grilled Chicken with Cucumber-Pineapple Salsa and small side salad.
If you’d like to learn more about Square Foot Gardening, please check out the Square Foot Gardening books  by Mel Bartholemew.
What fun cucumber recipes, meals or ideas do you have to share with us?!? I’d love some more ideas…as I still have a few cucumbers to use up!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/cucumber-pineapple-salsa/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 free from friend’s garden: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/08/shopping-trip-update-kroger-sams-kroger-and-walgreens.html
 Dice the fresh pineapple: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/04/how-to-select-and-cut-a-pineapple.html
 Square Foot Gardening books: http://www.5dollardinners.com/squarefootgardeningbook
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.