- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Cranberry Chicken and Rice
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 20, 2010 @ 7:29 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,GFCFSF,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice | 16 Comments
So this meal was pretty good. Came out a little on the bitter side, so I just sprinkled a little sugar over the cranberries on everyone’s plate and we were all happy!
So…you could add a little extra sweetener in before you bake it, or you could do as I did.
It really was tasty…after it was properly sweetened.
And boy am I glad that I froze some fresh produce from the fall and the holidays…because good prices on produce are SCARCE these days!!!
(Below is the recipe as I made it!)
3 cups cooked brown rice ($.40) (or 1 cup raw brown rice)
About 1/2 cup of apple juice ($.15)
3 large chicken breasts ($2.54)
Salt and pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder ($.03)
1 bag cranberries ($1.25) Bought on sale over holidays and froze
2 Tbsp sugar, sprinkled over the cranberries ($.10) Increase for a sweet sauce
Dashes of cinnamon and ground ginger, enough to lightly coat the cranberries ($.05)
2 cups cooked butternut squash , warmed ($.50) About half a butternut squash, bought when on sale for $.49/lb.
(Cook 1 cup raw brown rice according to package instructions.)
1. Place cooked brown rice into a 9×13 glass baking dish. (This is a great way to use frozen rice from a big batch. Rice doesn’t keep it’s consistency after being frozen, but baking it with some juice and cranberries, I didn’t notice the “mush” so much!) Pour apple juice into the baking dish with the rice.
2. Nestle the chicken breasts into the baking dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. Top with thawed cranberries.
4. Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and ground ginger.
5. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes, or until chicken has cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on thickness of chicken.
6. Once baked, sweeten if need be. Or don’t if you like tart cranberries. Toss some cranberries with some rice.
7. Serve Cranberry Chicken and Rice with Baked Butternut Squash.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/cranberry-chicken-and-rice/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 cooked butternut squash: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/09/how-to-bake-butternut-squash.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.