A delicious fall after school snack!
Makes 18 regular sized muffins, or 12 regular sized muffins plus 12 mini muffins
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
4 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries
1 medium Jonathon or Macintosh apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 12 muffin tin wells and 12 mini muffin wells, or 18 regular size muffin tin wells.
2. In stand mixer or large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil and milk.
3. In small mixing bowl, combine white flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to the wet ingredients in the mixer/mixing bowl and combine until batter forms.
4. In another small bowl, stir together cranberries, finely chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar. Fold the cranberries and apples into the batter.
5. Bake in preheated oven, using these time frames: Regular sized muffins for 16-18 minutes. Or mini muffins for 13-15 minutes.
**Note: If you don’t use all the wells in your muffin tin, just fill them with water so they don’t brown. Plus the water creates a nice steamy environment in the oven!