- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Not Quite CopyCat Penne Rustica from Macaroni Grill
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 31, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In chicken,Fish,Pasta,Recipes | 6 Comments
So I’ve had my eye on this recipe that I’d seen on Pinterest for while for CopyCat Penne Rustica from Macaroni Grill. Except I don’t like pimentos. Well, I don’t mind them, but I don’t love them either. When seeing the recipe, I’d thought that it would be delicious if I made it with red bell peppers instead of the pimentos. So I waited for a red bell pepper sale. I’d seen $1 sales…but I was hoping for a $.75 sale.
And then a $.33 sale happened at Sprouts.
I was shocked by this price and knew this was my one and only chance to make this…if I was going to get it even close to $5. (It’s a bit over because I used both shrimp and chicken. Use chicken only and it’d probably hit the mark.)
And I’ve given this the label of “not-quite” because I didn’t use the rosemary, pancetta, or pimentos.
Shrimp sauteeing with the onions…before the diced chicken gets added in.
Shrimp and chicken swimming in the marsala-cream sauce…flavors mingling.
Pasta and red peppers, waiting to be tossed with the saucy chicken-shrimp mixture.
Hot and fresh outta the oven with ooey gooey cheese melted to perfection.
The marsala in the homemade white sauce really gave a rich flavor to this pasta dish. Next time I make it, I’ll probably just use chicken and save a few dollars on the shrimp!
This is definitely one you want to include on an upcoming meal plan!
Not-Quite CopyCat Penne Rustica from Macaroni Grill
Adapted from Girl Who Ate Everything 
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 30 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon butter ($.03)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic ($.10)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard ($.02)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill ($.05)
- 1/2 cup marsala cooking wine ($.75)
- 4 cups heavy cream ($1)
- 9 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined ($2)
- 2 small grilled chicken breasts, diced ($2)
- 1/4 cup butter ($.40)
- 1 small white onion, chopped ($.20)
- Salt and pepper
- 12-16 ounces penne pasta, cooked ($.50)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped ($.66)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese ($.75)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese ($1)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika ($.02)
- To make the gratinata sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan or skillet with a rim. Whisk in the chopped garlic, mustard and dill. Pour in the marsala cooking wine and then whisk in the cream. Let simmer over low heat and let reduce by half.
- Cook the pasta and chicken if needed.
- In another saucepan or skillet, saute the shrimp and chicken with the butter and onion. Add a little salt and pepper. Once the gratinata sauce has reduced, add it into the skillet or saucepan with the chicken and shrimp. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes, allowing flavors to mingle.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, toss the cooked penne pasta and red bell peppers. Pour in the saucyt chicken-shrimp mixture and toss gently. Top with the Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated for 20 minutes, or until bubbling and cheese has melted and begun to brown.
- Sprinkle paprika on top before serving.
- Serve Not-Quite CopyCat Penne Rustica.
Cost $9.48 (8 servings!)
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/copycat-penne-rustica/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 Girl Who Ate Everything: http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/04/copycat-macaroni-grills-penne-rustica.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.