The dog days of summer are here.
There are days and weeks left until school routines start again.
June and July passed in what felt like 5 minutes. But when you scroll back through your photo roll, you sure did have some great summer fun!
(I know our family did!)
We did eat a lot of hot dogs for lunch – because easy, delicious, kids can make themselves.
And we had them a few times for dinner too. But when we did, we did it right.
We loaded them up. Piled them high.
And enjoyed every bite.
This is your typical hot dog, topped with a sweet BBQ based chili, shredded cheese and whatever condiments you wish to squirt on top. I went with the classic mustard and ketchup.
Add some fruit or a salad and you have the makings of the perfect end of summer meal!
P.S. This is one of our new MyFreezEasy recipes. You can freeze the following:
- Hot dogs in their package
- Buns in their package
- Chili topping – brown the ground beef and mix up the chili, let cool and freeze
- Shredded cheese, in the bag
All this to say…if you don’t get to this during the summer, you can get everything into the freezer. And it will be waiting for you…perhaps a warm fall weekend dinner or football BBQ/party…or even a busy weeknight, after school starts?!
Coney Island Hot Dogs
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Garnish: ketchup and mustard
- Side ideas: fruit and/or chips
- In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef with the minced onion and garlic powder. Drain and return to saucepan. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, BBQ sauce, chili powder and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the beef broth and let simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm the hot dogs and place hot dogs into buns and top with the chili. Garnish with shredded cheese, mustard and/or ketchup.
- Serve Coney Island Hot Dogs with chips and fruit.